Advice on fixing/upgrading Epson RLCD projector EH-R1000

Scotty Boy

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Slightly long post but I would appreciate some advice as I am in a pickle.

I'm using an Epson RLCD projector EH-R1000 which I bought second hand for a decent price 2/3 years ago, has seen me through a couple of bulbs but after the most recent bulb replacement I had some iris issues and couldn't get a picture/got a very very dark picture.

I took it to a shop in Singapore and they have said there is now a motherboard issue. Epson service centre can't do anything due to the age of the projector, and this repair shop is waiting on it's last contact in China to see about a motherboard replacement.

I've contacted another repair shop in Singapore but I simply don't trust the dude. There's a lot of conmen over here that are just looking to make a buck. He said there is a 50% chance of fixing it and if they are successful, it will cost 650-960 SGD (360 to 550 GBP). First of all, that's a huge spread. If he said a flat fee of 350 gbp, i'd probably lift it but at 550 GBP and with 4k around the corner, i'm unsure if that is a good idea, even if I did just buy a brand new bulb.

Is there any other route to fixing/replacing the mother board for a cheaper price?

Or am I doomed to upgrade slightly earlier than what I was expecting?

If I were to upgrade, what are my options and would I be downgrading on my lumins/contrast/picture quality against my epson? Which i believe to be a pretty good 1080p projector.

Thanks a lot. Appreciate the input.

I can't find. If anyone has any contacts or the resources to find, I would greatly appreciate the help.

It's unclear what the actual contrast of the EH-R1000 actually is. Going by Epson's figures compared to other projectors, you'll need a 9000 series for better contrast/black level.
So a TW9400.

A TW9300 has previous generation HDR tone mapping and 10GB HDMI vs. 18 on the 9400.
10GB means limitation to 4K HDR 30/24Hz. Some streaming services require 60Hz even if most content is 24p.
Some devices exist that can do a better job at tone mapping, so it depends what the source is.

Or a used JVC.

I think I might be priced out of the JVC projectors unless I'm lucky and catch someone upgrading.

Would the benq2700 be a reasonably priced option?

I think I might be priced out of the JVC projectors unless I'm lucky and catch someone upgrading.

Would the benq2700 be a reasonably priced option?

No, it's DLP with poor contrast/black level. Also not bright. Probably half as bright as your current unit.

As I mentioned in the previous post, look at TW9300/9400.

No, it's DLP with poor contrast/black level. Also not bright. Probably half as bright as your current unit.

As I mentioned in the previous post, look at TW9300/9400.
Hi there. Thanks for the post. I see other people raving about the benQ and rating it, it's a little annoying as I also just assumed that it would be considerably poorer with contrast and black due to the technology.

I'm not fixated on another epson, I am just worried about losing quality of picture and lumens. Are there any other non-Epson models to look out for?

Budget is also a consideration. Not looking to go north of 2k GBP.

Thanks again. Appreciated.

Hi there. Thanks for the post. I see other people raving about the benQ and rating it, it's a little annoying as I also just assumed that it would be considerably poorer with contrast and black due to the technology.

I'm not fixated on another epson, I am just worried about losing quality of picture and lumens. Are there any other non-Epson models to look out for?

Budget is also a consideration. Not looking to go north of 2k GBP.

Thanks again. Appreciated.

Panasonic PT-AE8000U or other Panasonic.
For the 8000 native contrast is ~6000:1, not sure about dynamic.
But I don't know if the Panasonics have motorized lenses. It's kind of an old model.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom