1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on First Separates System

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Sicton, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Situation: I've been wanting separates for over two years now and have just about got enough money to buy some equipment to get started. At the moment I have an awful Goodmans hi-fi which isn't even worth using for anything and I have a set of Creative 5.1 speakers (DTT2200) for my PC.

Budget: £800 - for 2x speakers + amp + cables

Needs: I want to use the system for movies, music and games pretty much equally so I need an all-round system. For this reason, I'm not really sure if I want a stereo amp or multi-channel because if the sound quality is going to be better using a stereo amp I'd rather settle for that than go down the surround sound route, if that makes sense. It may seem obvious but I want to get the best sounding piece of kit for my needs that my money can buy.

The speakers I'm interested in at the moment are:

B&W DM303
    Wharfedale Evo 10
    MISSION Volare V61

I'm also interested in using the system with my PC so I would like to buy the HDA Digital X-Mystique sound card to connect to the system as well.

I really hope some of you audio wizards can help me out with this.

Cheers

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
  3. Sicton

Sicton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that but a lot of those hi-fi components mean nothing to me as I haven't heard of any of them!

4. jon_mendel

jon_mendel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Probably a good idea to try listening to a few different bits and pieces in your price range, to get a sense of what you like - £800 is a lot to spend on a recommendation ;) You could also try looking secondhand - you get more for your money (and, in the case of mission speakers, I find the older ones such as the 73x series tend to sound better than the new models I've heard...); also, if you later change your mind about what you like you should be able to sell on the stuff with less of a loss.

You should get a significantly better-sounding stereo setup if you just buy that (stereo amps tend to be better than AV for music, and obviously you'll have more money to spend per speaker) but obviously you won't get surround, and some DVDs don't sound as good in plain stereo... I've chose to spend my money on a stereo set-up, but then I use it more for music than DVDs. If you do go for stereo and your PC is your main source, you could also look at getting a stereo DAC (secondhand there's plenty of choice under £100) to run your PC through, which may improve quality.

Jon

5. BUGANNA

BUGANNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    buy pre-used, if u want the max sound for your cash

best thing about that is, that u can re-sell at any time, and not lose any money, as all the depreciation has been lost already...........

dont use an AV amp for music, they are never as good, the electical interference with all the ICs in them, simply do not make for a pure sounding amplifier........

u can get decent AV amp for £ 100 online discounts

Ive sent you an email - something of interest perhaps ?

:thumbsup: