advice on first Plasma......totally confused!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by steve morris, Nov 3, 2004.

1. steve morris

steve morris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    hi all

some advice please.........as i'm a total spaz with this plasma marlarky.

i had decided to buy the Panasonic TH42PWD6BX from richer sounds, for £1500, and i was going to ask everyone hear for advice on these "input boards".

i have Sky+, a DVD player and various consoles to add.

i rang richer sounds today, to check on stock etc, and the chap on the other end told me not to buy one of these, are it's "crap" then continued to tell me it would cost another grand on "input boards". he then told me that i should get a Hitachi 42PD4200 package, for £2000, even though i don't need the tv tuner, or speakers, he told me "they may come in useful" at some point!!!, and that the Hitachi has a far better picture than the Panny.

so i'm now completly confused

can you chaps offer me some advice please.

if you think i should go with the Panny, can you let me know what sort of input boards i will need, for my various connections.

thanks for your help chaps!!

2. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    you buy a panasonic e55 recorder for £155
    you buy a component to VGA cable for £6
    you buy plasma feet for £60 (ish)
    sky plugs into E55, e55 component output plugs into PW6 VGA socket (no board needed)

or alternatively buy the PWD6 from av-sales for £1580 with SCART terminal board included.

3. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pj,

I cannot seem to find the e55 for the price mentioned. is it via lxdirect? i thought the offerr i over

alex

4. bakero

bakero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PJClark

Isn't the picture quality better by getting the Component SVHS Composite BNC input board and connecting the E85 to that instead of through the VGA socket or getting a SCART board ? and then connecting the console/s through the VGA socket (to allow console and sky to be viewed together on split screen) ?
    I'm in a similar position to guli and about to buy.
    The E55 is £220 at AV-Sales, and the E85 is £488 (I'd say an 80gb hard disk is worth the extra)

5. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    ypu are correct the 25% off at lxdirect is gone, but there are still 15% off codes working. The best input you can get on the PW6 seems to be into the VGA connector, either RGBHV, or component. Of course you can't use split screen with only 1 input, but I have had my screen a month and never used it.

6. Davedog

Davedog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I went to my local Richer Sounds today to look at a Panny 42". The kid there said the same to me ie "the panasonic is not that good and it would cost me a further £400 for inputs" he recommended the LG and stated that LG made all the screens anyway.

All I need to know in idiot terms is what do i need to go with the screen

I have:

Philips DVD
    X Box
    NTL cable

I will also need surround sound.

Thanks

7. guli

guli
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    don't be swayed with richersound kids.

panasonic make their own screens.

8. LLcoolDave

LLcoolDave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    i have had exactly the same thing at richersounds...i went in for a panasonic-cash on the hip-had all the malarky about input boards sorted-and the chap told me the hitachi pd4200 is better-has inputs and confusingly told me that you cant change brightness/contrast etc when its a plug in "monitor". the hitachi sounds good cus it would be more girlfriend friendly???
    so here i am still with 2 grand burning a hole in my pocket!
    might just go and have a beer instead!
    :beer:
    let me know what u decide??

dave

9. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
  10. lidders

lidders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought the Panny from av-sales. excellent service and advice. I am using the scart board. The picture quallity is fantastic in my opinion.
    Excellewnt screen.

LIDDERS

11. MrDemon

MrDemon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the panasonics look poor imo as there not hdtv ready if you just want to watch tv for now there very good but imo very limited for the future

the res is only 840x 4?? and no dvi imput either

the best value 42 is the hitachi 42pd5200 1024x 1024 res and dvi imputs

if you want componet imput u need the 42pd5300

the only better screen is the busness pioneer at about 4k

these hitachi screens always get rave reviews and there only 2k

D

12. markmoore767

markmoore767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wish you all the luck in the world. I decided on a PW6 and am delighted with it! (it came with a scart board) I purchased an AV Control Centre from play.com for £40 and a composite to vga cable from Joe Fernand for £88 and haven't looked back yet!

IMHO you will be happy with the plasma you buy, as long as you take advice from as many sources as possible. I used Panny because 2 years ago, a friend told me that Panny made the best plasmas. This was confirmed here on AVForums, and I decided to go for it. The Hitachi is a great plasm too, but as I do not own one, I can only comment on the PWD6.

I am sure that when you open that cardboard box, whichever make you decide on, you will be happy! :clap:

13. FaxFan2002

FaxFan2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    I thought the pw6's were HDTV ready (the pw7's are not), also thought you could get a DVI card for the pw6. Not sure if HDTV will be issue anytime soon either....

14. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Panny has 3 input slots into which DVi and component amongst other will fit Hitachi are NOT HD screens but ALIS screen only display 1024x512 pixels at a time, and the 1000:1 contrast is far behind panny 4000:1 Also they are poor Picture.... RESOLUTION does NOT equal GOOD Picture QUALITY

15. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The advice from Richers, I can't comment cos of libel laws! It's incredible! They must have a lot of Hitachis, maybe they just don't understand Panasonic. They are indeed HDTV ready, the 7 series too, it's the viera integrated TV model which is only 1/2 ready. PJ is right, boards are by no means always necessary, you can adjust anything except red, green and blue colour levels on VGA, it's the most flexible, easiest to configure, most 'cinematic' screen on the market, and VFM it wins hands down at £1580 inc board, no question, no room for discussion. Paying more for it, maybe there are others to consider, but not for that money.

16. Koing

Koing
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being HDTV 'ready' is different from being 'fully' HDTV.

YES the PW6 WILL display HDTV but it will not use the 'full' resolution of HDTV but use only the 852x480 pixel's it has.

<- waiting for the HD 42" models to drop in price :p

17. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Koing, I would make that decision too, but not if I only had £1580 to spend! The SD panels still look terrific with hi def material, maybe not quite so good with a PC. Scaling is a strange thing with plasma, they all have to do it, except with NTSC stuff, there are no pal or HD native plasma panels. (Hitachi are an exception, they do 1080 with no scaling by junking a proportion of the image, about 15%) The HD panels will show more detail, but most of the reason they look better is that their processing is a mile ahead of the SD. This is part of the reason they will always be £1000 or near enough more than the SD

18. Tainted

Tainted

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sitting here typing this on my Hitachi PD4200 as a monitor.
    Get one! Though don't take my advice cause I haven't played with a Panasonic W6.

My Hitachi is set to 1280x720-60hz progressive. I setup the screen for movie and vertical filter on. Wow!!! Divx's look great if decent quality, my DVD's look great and my Hi-Definition wmv clips make me sit here and grin like an idiot.

I heard Panasonic test their contrast different to other manufacture. Not as bad the whole PMPO vs RMS in sound but I think it was to do with who tests their screens in the dark and who tests their's in the light.

THe PD4200 for games has all the detail I need. It just shows me I need to set a higher resolution cause at a screen size like this 1024x768 game graphics don't look good anymore. I'm going now to find a new graphics card so I can up the games resolutions.

It's a 720p Hi-Def screen not 1080 but will downsize. The Panasonic is neither and has to downsize both to fit it's resolution. It's a great screen for today..

But what about tomorrow.....

I think the Hitachi is a bargain for a intermediate screen between standard plasma's and Hi-Definition 1080 that will come out. I do feel 1024x1024 should make a square and is not suited for widescreen which is why I chose the PD4200 for it's 1024x768.

19. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Oooh I do wish you hadn't said that :suicide:

After days of sifting through mid-price-range 42" plasmas, I had come to the conclusion that the Hitachi 42PD5300 was the one for me ! What you say has a ring of truth about it, but since the pixels on the 1024 x 1024 screens are not square (they are 0.51mm H x 0.90mm W on a 42"), it means that the pixels are more-or-less 16:9 too.

20. lintonmac

lintonmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    >I do feel 1024x1024 should make a square and is not suited for widescreen which is why I chose the PD4200 for it's 1024x768.

Yes, I've been struggling with some of this. But I think what you haven't understood is the way the Hitachi works as I understand it (for good and for bad). Unlike many panels, the 1024 x 1024 is really two 1024 x 512 panels together. The shape of the pixels as Nick mentions means it is just as much a wide screen as anything else (after all 1024 x 768 is not a 16:9 aspect ratio).

What is both interesting and upsetting for some about the Hitachi is that each of those panels is on just 30 times a second, rather than 60 times a second. So, you effectively have an interlaced display whether you are watching interlaced (eg terrestrial tv) or a progressive scan video! But because of the extra resolution (and/or perhaps other design aspects of the screen), overall the effect is more impressive.

Perhaps when we get real HD at, say 720p progressive this will show it's weaknesses and that will not be equivalent to a real 1024x768 HD screen. (although a real HD screen should in fact be 1280 x 720p at a minimum)

I am personally quite persuaded by the Hitachi 5000 range - I think it looks better than most other things in the price range (esp LG and Samsung). I am however concerned about how it deals with a PC input when it is not a real 1024 x 1024 or 1024 x 768 display. (I wonder if and how it will distort photos off my pc).

I could be completely wrong, but this is my understanding of ALIS that is used by Hitachi and some Fujitsu PDP's. If anyone can explain this better than me, by all means do. But I wouldn't worry about this "square" aspect of it if you're happy with the PQ and the connections work for you.

Ian

21. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HD I appreciate ur superior knowledge of AV stuff , but how can you say "also they are a poor picture" , That is a very poor throw away comment that will put alot of not so "clued up" people of even considering an Hitachi .

As I have said in various posts, I have viewed all types of screen and it is all subjective to the person how he/she percieves what he/she is looking at , I have viewed an Hitachi 42pd5300 side by side with a panny viera and there is no differance at all!! In fact in my opinion and my mate and my wife when we went to view we all said that the Hitachi had the slight edge on picture - please don't sound silly and say the picture is poor - just not true at all!!!!

Who cares if it ALIS or not as along as it does what yu want and you are satisfied with the quality yourself.

I feel alot of people need to see this as there does seem an "anti-Hitachi " theme on this forum , I just wanted to get MHO across to all readers .

There may be a reason why certain "retailers " ae pushing Panasonic and rubishing Hitatchi- need I say more!!!!

Yorkie

22. grahamtriggs

grahamtriggs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yes. There isn't really such a thing as a 'widescreen resolution' - in arbitrary terms. It doesn't really matter if pixels are square or rectangular, providing:

a) You have enough that they aren't noticable.

b) You take account of how the pixels relate to an aspect ratio when forming the image to display on them.

Where it really counts is when you attach a PC to the screen, where the PC has something of a fixed idea of pixels vs. aspect ratio, that disagrees with the Hitachi.

23. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    True widescreen pixel count is a big screen nightmare, only SD 42" plasmas and some 50" and larger plasmas have it. ALL 42" hitachis are 1024 x 1024 BTW, they accept 1024x768 and scale vertically. This confuses the issue completely, the pixels are even more rectangular than the resolution you are sending. Games might look OK at 1280x720 if you can run it and the game supports it, and the hitachi accepts it. That's a whole bundle of ifs. For PC's though, resolution does count, so maybe a 37" LCD is the way to go if you are big on games. They are usually 1366x768, but watch out for ones that do not accept native res, notably Philips. I have a little list of PC friendly displays, and it's not long. DVD software like theatretek can be told about 1024x768 16:9 panels, and can take account of it, the no.1 panel for PC users is the Pioneer MXE1, though the PHD panasonic could well take over as it's now cheaper. You just get used to vertically challenged icons!

24. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Just remember this:-

"There may be a reason why certain "retailors" are pushing Panasonic and rubbishing Hitatchi - need I say more!!!!!!

And the very next post it happens again lol!!!!!!

Yorkie

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    There are no reasons apart from technical why I push pioneer and panasonic. BTW I think I've sold 3 plasmas to forum members, I do not actually give a s**t if you end up with a heap of rubbish on your wall from ignoring well meant advice, nor would I want business from most forum members, I'm not a box shifter, I sell installation and systems integration. As such, I have connected more devices to more plasmas than most, if you don't like what I say you are free to do as you please. I have absolutely nothing to gain from 'pushing' Panasonic, each sale simply puts about £300 into Alastair's pocket, at current pricing, not mine. I've just had it up to here with Hitachi, I find them to be cheap tat, poor value, and a frequent source of dissatisfaction. I used to sell them, no longer. Too many returns for too many reasons. They would bankrupt me.

26. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MAW i accept your reasons for this choice of going down the pio and panny route. And accept you do prob see more plasma's than anyone.
    Surely that is why people are better buying any Plassy from a reputable dealer for ur reasons given above - esp if you get 3-5 years warranty too!!!!

In my opinion you will get bad apples in every cart, so there will always be technical problems with all makes.

But surely a retailer cannot just say the "Hitatchi's picture is rubbish" - this is just not true!!(not you may I add) and such a cheap throw away commment.
    My opinion was posted just to make people aware that certain retailers will push certain manufacturers for financial reasons - and not only for technical reasons!! this will always be there its called -"buisness".

But please don't just lets have throw away comments where people can see straight through it.

Yorkie

27. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Not much good saying you were viewing em side by side without telling us
    what you were viewing. If it was a cartoon then they will both look great
    as will almost any plasma in the world. 150 colours on screen at any one time
    is not gonna stretch the abilities of any plasma (except for the Tiny)

What about the famous Hitachi buzz, that doesn't bother you then.

28. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi PJ,
    Sorry I did'nt state what was playing through the Panny and the Hitatchi - it was just an in store stream showing various clips from movies just through the aerial socket , so your prob right not a very good way of a comparison, but obv if this was the worst type of input then the picture must only get better(and the picture looked great !!) ,
    It may well be that better inputs will improve both, so I cannot comment on which one would be better.

I have read that the 42pd5300 is excellant when a progressive scan input from a DVD is attatched. The built in tuner and RGB inputs run close to the performance of the higher quality inputs with just a little more dot-crawl on brightly contrasting areas.
    Overall it seems the Hitatchi betters neither Panny or pio in their primary attributes but the 42pd5300 offers a slice of the best of both at a far more appealing price!!!

Also all the independant review mags out there rate the Hitachi Platara 42P5300 as being best value for money/good quality, they can't all be wrong surely???!!- but other people will tell you that the testers from these review mags rate the more"customer friendly" screens because they are more easily set up and they don't need to mess around with extra boards and stuff like the PW6/7'S - But surely is'nt that what the majority of the buying public want to do???? I certainly don't want bits all over the place. I might be sounding cynical here - I apoligise for that.
    I have'nt heard anything about buzzing problems - so I can't comment sorry
    Yorkie

29. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Bits all over the place is what nobody wants, and you don't have to have it. There are ways of connecting almost any plasma with 1 cable, and in the case of a PW6 without video boards frequently too. Good retailers should explain these options, which often have much more flexibility as well as being simple to use and higher performing. A comparison between the 2 plasmas on a RF feed in Currys tells you absolutely nothing, nothing at all about how they will look set up in your lounge. Do some proper research before shelling out your £2k or you may regret it.

30. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,289
    Yorkieblade

No issues with you or anyone else having valued input regarding the pros and cons of the various Displays and TV's on the market but I fear your throwing in a Red Herring when you start to question folks 'advice' if you feel the advice is biased due to financial reasons.

The Plasma Manufacturers have two main business models - Direct Accounts or Distribution. Some manufacturers have both and some only supply via Distribution; therefore when a retailer or reseller is looking at the overall 'value' of any product you have to factor in the support and backup you get from the Manufacture or Distributor on top of the 'quality' of the product.

I'm sure MAW is in the same position as myself and most other smaller resellers - via Distribution channels we can pretty much lay our hands on any product on the UK market; and some that are not ;).

If myself, MAW and some of the other resellers who contribute to this Forum were only giving advice based on what we can sell and what we would make bigger margins on NONE of us would ever mention Panasonic - especially so the PWD6; I don't think you have to look too far too see which company with a presence on these Forums sells the majority of those units to AV Forum members and you'll also not have to look too far to see myself, MAW and others giving folk a steer to that product and a help with it once they've bought it.

As you say the Hitachi is as viable for you as it is for anyone else who's shopping for a new TV - if myself, MAW and others wanted an easy life we'd simply say hey go get one and buy it from us; we can make £150 selling a Hitachi just as 'easily' as we can make £150 selling a Panasonic (that is until others with more buying power than us stared shipping those by the bucketload too :)).

Keep up the good work but please don't make inaccurate claims as to why folk recommend one product over another.

Best regards

Joe