Question Advice on first Hi-Fi purchase please

Stoofer

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have multiple newbie questions, so apologies for the lack of knowledge.

I’m (finally) looking to invest in a hifi system after years using various bluetooth speakers.

I’m planning on playing the vast majority of my music through streaming services, probably tidal.

My budget is under £1000, ideally would spend £700-£800. Planning to go and listen to a few things to make up my mind, but any (non-salesman) advice is welcome.

Questions as follows
(1) what would people recommend as a ‘starter’ hifi system in terms of singles? Buying from scratch. Speakers, amp...?

(2a) related to no (1) I’ve been researching, and looking at the following set-up
Speakers: Q Acoustics 3020i
Amp: Marantz PM6006
Thoughts?

(2b) slightly confused whether I need a network streamer? Considering I’m playing things mostly from a phone or iPad.

Or

(2c) Network Stereo Receiver, so something like a ...

Pioneer N30AE

Maybe obvious, but I don’t understand the difference between a network streamer and network stereo receiver? Again apologies for the lack of knowledge.

And finally

(3) is tidal premium hifi subscription (£19.99) worth it, or is it completely dependent on your set-up?

Any help is massively appreciated

And a final question, does a network receiver also act as an amplifier? And if it does, do you still need a separate amp?

The Marantz is a fine amp and I believe can be had for a very good price at Richer Sounds. It's capable of driving better speakers than the 3020i. In answer to your other question network receivers do come with a built in amp. With what you are describing as your needs then that may be the more sensible course to take. Apart from that I'll let others give you guidance on network receivers as I only use the little silver disc. I'm too old to change now.

Hi Gibbsy, that’s great, thanks for the reply 👍 in that case maybe I don’t need the separate marantz amp if I have a network receiver with built in amp?

No you will not need a separate amp, so the pm6006 can remain on the dealer's shelf. Most network receivers also have digital inputs that can be used with other equipment should you see the light and buy physical media.

Please sign up to my save the silver disc campaign.:thumbsup:

Only joking...….enjoy your kit when it comes. Sorry I can't help any further with a network receiver recommendation.

Ok thanks, much appreciated. Sadly sold off / gave away my entire CD collection, big mistake which I regret. Cheers for the advice

Are you open to second hand / refurbished products?

The Kef LSX would seem to offer all you need. Top of your budget, but worth it nonetheless.

And check out the posh new finish... rather special.

And there are plenty more finishes to choose from.

The Kef LSX would seem to offer all you need. Top of your budget, but worth it nonetheless.

And check out the posh new finish... rather special.

And there are plenty more finishes to choose from.

Ok thanks, sounds like another option. I’ll do some more research.

I would go with a streaming amplifier, such as the Yamaha R-N602, and pair with some Monitor Audio Bronze 2 or maybe some DALI speakers. A package can be had for £529 so well under your budget.
This option also reduces the number of boxes you need and keeps operation simple.

Don't buy anything until you've heard a range of speakers in your price bracket. Speakers make the biggest difference in sound in a HiFi chain so you need to select those first. Ideally you want a demo facility that has a range of speakers set up on a switch box so you can quickly flick between them. Beware of bright, highly detailed speakers that sound impressive on initial listen but soon become tiring to listen to. Differences in amps & sources at your budget will be minimal.

If going for bookshelf speakers also budget for decent stands.

I would not recommend the LSX's, I use then as computer speakers and for that they excel, for HiFi not so much...

Other options:-

Amp:-

Has a DAC and Bluetooth so you can stream directly to it from your phone.

Speakers:-

As ever, find a local dealer and have a listen, try not to buy blind.

Hi,
A thumbs up here for the Concept 20's. Brilliant little speaker.
Gregory

The Audiolab 6000A is a brilliant amp, full of features. More importantly, it has brilliant sound quality. I’ve been trialling one and I’ve taken the plunge, replacing my Rega Brio. That’s how good it is.

I would not recommend the LSX's, I use then as computer speakers and for that they excel, for HiFi not so much...

Other options:-

Amp:-

Has a DAC and Bluetooth so you can stream directly to it from your phone.

Speakers:-

As ever, find a local dealer and have a listen, try not to buy blind.

not too sure if i agree with that statement regarding the lsx's tbh.

Hi, I have multiple newbie questions, so apologies for the lack of knowledge.

I’m (finally) looking to invest in a hifi system after years using various bluetooth speakers.

I’m planning on playing the vast majority of my music through streaming services, probably tidal.

My budget is under £1000, ideally would spend £700-£800. Planning to go and listen to a few things to make up my mind, but any (non-salesman) advice is welcome.

Questions as follows
(1) what would people recommend as a ‘starter’ hifi system in terms of singles? Buying from scratch. Speakers, amp...?

(2a) related to no (1) I’ve been researching, and looking at the following set-up
Speakers: Q Acoustics 3020i
Amp: Marantz PM6006
Thoughts?

(2b) slightly confused whether I need a network streamer? Considering I’m playing things mostly from a phone or iPad.

Or

(2c) Network Stereo Receiver, so something like a ...

Pioneer N30AE

Maybe obvious, but I don’t understand the difference between a network streamer and network stereo receiver? Again apologies for the lack of knowledge.

And finally

(3) is tidal premium hifi subscription (£19.99) worth it, or is it completely dependent on your set-up?

Any help is massively appreciated

What's the size of your room? this generally has a large impact on what equipment you should be choosing?

Hi Stoofer,

The market is currently really big on offers at the price range you are aiming and most of them will have a more than decent sound. Probably the best advice you will have is “ lisen to the system before you buy”

Normally if you go with Japanese brands you will get some good sound, specs and very well featured units. However if you move to more hi fi brands you can find less featured products but they offer you better sound quality.

The market currently offers streaming solutions, like Taidal, Spotify, etc.. if you plan on using that you could start with a ieast soundstream or similar plus amplifier and speaker solution, and then progress has you see fit.

The Marantz is a good starting point but also check the NAD C316BEE and Cambridge audio AXA35, they are all amps that play differently.

For speakers try the Dali Zensor 1 used or new or the Elac Debut B5.2.

Finally, buy some good cables and if there is money some decoupling devices live the isoacustic Oreo bronz

Hope it helps

Filipe

Maybe consider AVI active speakers if you intend to use your phone as the main source, the ADM9.1 are really well reviewed

Ideally, the speakers should be chosen to suit the room size, although there is quite a bit of leeway.

You may hear a speaker you really like when demo'd in a small room but when you get it home and set it up in a larger room, the sound might be underwhelming, wimpy, lacking drama. Likewise, too-large a speaker in too-small a room will not sound good as it will swamp the room with excessive bass.

With a £800 budget, I'd be looking at a system based around a streaming pre-amplifier and active speakers:

...coupled with active studio monitors of suitable size such as:

and many, many others that are too numerous to mention.

Studio monitors are usually demo'd by suppliers of professional music equipment, like PMT in Bristol. Pro music gear is usually better value for money than traditional hifi so for any given budget, you normally get better sound quality, IME.

I'm using an ancient computer now as my main computer crapped out on me. This computer will not access PeterTyson.co.uk, but PeterTyson has some excellent package deals on the Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver and various speakers. Most well under your budget, and with bigger better speakers than the Q Acoustic 3020, though be aware that the 3020 are fine speakers, I have them on my computer.

If you want bookshelf speakers, definitely consider the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 with 6.5" bass drivers priced at about (best guess) £280/pr. Though look though all the packages at PeterTyson. I think if you search "Yamaha R-N602 Network Receiver" you'll see both the amp and the packages.

Pre-Amplifier - Just the Controls and Inputs but without Power Amps

Power Amp - Just the power section of an amp with no controls and only one input.

Integrated Amplifier - both a Pre-Amp and a Power-Amp built into one unit.

Receiver - Radio, Pre-Amp, Power-Amp all built into one unit.

Network Receiver - Radio, Pre-Amp, Power-Amp, and Network Streaming built into one unit.

AV Receiver - A receiver made specifically for watching movies, though it also plays music, but it has 5 or more channels supporting Surround Sound. As well as many other features including Network Streaming.

Any of the Amp/Receivers may or may not have a DAC (digital to analog converter) that is most often used for connecting TV Audio to a Stereo Amp/Receiver for movie/TV watching.

The Yamaha RN602 Network Receiver has AM/FM and 80w/ch. It supports Network Streaming from local storage or from the Internet though both Internet Radio and Streaming Services like Spotify. It also has a DAC with 2xOptical inputs, and 2x Coaxial Inputs, as well as a USB Media port on the front. In addition, it has a Phono In, and Sub-Out. These are typically between £320 and about £350 plus whatever you choose for speakers.

You would be hard pressed to get more for your money than the RN602.

Steve/bluewizard

You would be hard pressed to get more for your money than the RN602.

...which PT are currently selling for £299.

Especially so when you consider the Yamaha WXC50 I suggested in post#19 sells for £249 in the UK and seems to be very similar to the RN602 but without the hefty true 80W/channel RMS power amp section. That's a bargain power amp.

...which PT are currently selling for £299.

Especially so when you consider the Yamaha WXC50 I suggested in post#19 sells for £249 in the UK and seems to be very similar to the RN602 but without the hefty true 80W/channel RMS power amp section. That's a bargain power amp.
Keep in mind all the Yamaha Streaming Options are going to use the same Smart Phone Control App, so your interface to the system is the same regardless of which one you choose.

There is also a Yamaha streaming Option for £120 WXAD-10, but ...again... at current price the Yamaha RN602 is just £300.

You could also look at option using the Yamaha AS701 which is an integrated with DAC and 100w/ch. Plus one of the Yamaha Streaming Options. Though that will not come out less than the Yamaha RN602.

Again because of my old computer and old browser, I can't get into PeterTyson, but they have good prices and good package deals.

You could also check Richer Sounds, AudioVisualOnLine, HiFix, HiFiGear, and others.

Steve/bluewizard

The best advice I can offer is to find a decent local hifi store, tell them you budget, what you want to achieve and arrange demos of lots of different sources, amps, speakers etc, definitely look at trade in stock and ask for a full warranty if you go that route.

Don't you just love these guys, join up ask a question then disappear. o_O

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom