• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on First Audio Setup!

Valo^

Established Member
I’m looking for advice on my first dedicated AV receiver and 5.1 speaker setup.

I use a HTPC to watch all my media (HD Media, DVD/Bluray, listen to music etc) currently this is connected to my TV (Panasonic TH-37PV500) and is setup to output standard nasty stereo sound through the TV speakers. I want to be able to pass both Video and HD Audio from this to the receiver I’m aware I’ll need an HD sound card for the HTPC like the Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 for this to work.

I also have a Humax FOXSAT HD freesat box currently connected directly to the TV via HDMI.

I’ve had a look around and found that the Onkyo SR-607 or the Denon AVR-1910 would suit my needs, but I’m open to suggestions on this.
I also need advice on what 5.1 speaker packages I should be looking at, from looking through the forums the Q ACOUSTICS 1010i seem to be a popular choice, what are the entry level KEF packages like in comparison?

My budget would be a maximum of £800.00 inc VAT

Any help would be great!

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest either the Yamaha RXV765 or the Sony STRDA2400ES as alternatives to the Onlyo TXSR607. They are all roughly the same price. The Yamaha RXV565 would be a cheaper alternative to the Onkyo.

The Denon AVR1910 is the best of the bunch and will provide you with better SQ than the other amps so far mentioned. It is probably the best AV amp you can get for below £500.

The Q Acoustics 1010i package is suited to all the amps and will be an improvement over simarly priced KEF packages. The KEF eggs do a good job for their size, but are no match in comparison to larger cabinets. If you've the space then larger speakers are preferable and they will create more presence than smaller lifestyle speakers.

Valo^

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. Think I've got my work cut out for me, as it looks like I'm going to have to demo various AV receivers and speaker setups to find what works best for me

As the Yamaha's, Denon and Onkyo all have there up and downsides as do the various lifestyle speaker packages I'm looking at - Tannoy, KEF & Q Acoustics.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The KEF and Q Acoustics will work with all the amps. Tannoy are more suitable to the Onkyo amp.

In my view, unless you have to have 'life-style' speakers like the KEF eggs, avoid them and go for proper box style speakers (Q Acoustics). If you have to get lifestyle speakers, the warmer sounding Denon or Yamaha amps may be better as they could help to compensate for the upper base/midrange that could take a hit because of the design of the lifestyles. Just my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom