1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on external inputs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by morb666, Sep 13, 2005.

1. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi,

I've got a PHILIPS HTS3500S all-in-one system, this has a coaxial digital in on the back, the manual is vague about the use for this. Does it mean that I can use it as an external decoder, i.e. Could I plug an XBox into the digital input and hear the 5.1 soundtracks to the games through the philips.
    I have e-mailed philips customer services asking the same question but received no reply.
    Any help appreciated.

Thanks,
    Morbius

2. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd say it sure does sound like thats what it's for - I've had two all in one systems so far and they both have a optical in just for that very purpose.

3. morb666

morb666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Thanks,

All it says in the manuals is connect the "digital" output of another device and make sure it is transmitting "PCM"

Morbius

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Unfortunately many manuals are written on the basis that the person reading it is an AV expert

5. DarrenB

DarrenB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normall you just plug the device into the digital input socket and providing you have the correct input selected on the home cinema system you should get audio.
    I think most devices that output a digital signal default to pcm, you can check by going into the source unts audio setup options and making sure PCM is set....

PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation, does that mean I am an 'AV Expert' ? LOL! :)

PS. I also know that women have vaginas.