1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on extending speaker cables

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by gseh, Apr 15, 2005.

1. gseh

gseh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Unfortunately I've had to move my kit about 2 metres from where it used to be.

This has led to me being in the situation where the cables for 3 of my speakers will now not reach my receiver.

Re-cabling completely isn't an option so I wondered if anyone could advise on the best way to attach new sections of cable to my existing runs.

Thanks

2. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    strip the ends of both existing cables and the new ones for about an inch,tie a knot in the bare cables and cover the joins with insulating tape.if you use red tape on the "pos" side and black on the "neg" side it will help to keep the high frequencies in.i used blue tape when i did this and ended up with a very muffled sound.try and get the dearest tape you can afford because cheap tape may muddle the stereo separation.

3. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    croozer,

Having had the benefit of the advice of a number of forum members in response to your somewhat basic questions in previous posts, I'm rather surprised at your inclination to take the **** out of a perfectly reasonable question by a new member :nono:. There are other threads dedicated to humour if that is what you were aiming at :rolleyes:

In response to the original question there are three main options - soldering, crimping, or mechanical connection.

The choice depends somewhat on the type of cable you want to connect and how familiar you are with the tools and techniques

The easiest is to use the common 'chocolate block' connectors available from any hardware/DIY store. A 15 amp size is appropriate for 'general' speaker cable. Strip back about 20mm of the cable ends and insert in the connector such that both screws fasten down on each cable, and tighten up securely.

Crimping or soldering is better, but I suspect that if you're familiar with these techniques, you wouldn't be asking the question in the first place.

If you need any more advice give some more details of the cable you're extending and we'll be happy to help :)

4. croozer

croozer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am sorry if i have caused offence, but i only meant the reply to be light hearted.i think soldering and then taping the joins would be best because the result will be closer to the original diameter of the cable,and also because it would be a strong union.