Advice on expanding Bose system

dstill

Standard Member
Reaction score
Looking at what the next best step would be to expand my set up. I use my kit for the TV and also to play music whilst sitting on the patio in the summer.

I currently have a Bose 500 soundbar and Bose 500 bass module. I've seen the Bose amplifiers and wondered if this was a good upgrade and if it would increase the overall volume whilst retaining the great quality I get from the Bose kit. Thanks in advance.

The only ‘upgrade’ option available for your system is to add the optional Surround Speakers and not be reliant on virtual surround the Soundbar creates.

Power amps are not relevant to your system.

Joe

I currently have a Bose 500 soundbar and Bose 500 bass module. I've seen the Bose amplifiers and wondered if this was a good upgrade and if it would increase the overall volume

Agree with Joe F.

Purchasing a soundbar-based setup rarely, if ever, gives scope for upgrading sonic performance. Digital Signal Processing (DSP) has come a long way such that some modern soundbars can offer reasonably convincing surround sound (don't know if this is the case with the Bose 500 though). IMO, what a soundbar cannot offer is a convincing reproduction of recorded music - even supported by a subwoofer - but then I've not listened to very expensive soundbars.

For me, music always sounds better when played through a pair of speakers, appropriately positioned. I think the main reason soundbars are purchased is physical form factor rather than sound quality.

The only way to get higher volume, and superior audio quality, is to start again from scratch.

If the Bose amplifier you refer to is the Bose Music Amplifier that retails for around £700 then I suggest that budget would get a great stereo setup that would play TV and music - and with better audio quality too.

Thank you guys for taking the time to reply, your comments are extremely appreciated.

This is really helpful and I'm pleased I didn't waste any money on the set up. I think I will just add a Bose environmental speaker so I can extend the sound into my garden.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Thanks for your replies guys, I genuinely appreciate it. I'm pleased I didn't waste any money on an amplifier! I think I will just add a Bose environmental speaker so I can at least extend the sound into the garden area.

Thanks again guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom