1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on Eltax speakers please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by hartside2, Dec 24, 2002.

1. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can get a set of Eltax Cinema 5.1 at Richer sounds for £200 Anyone bought these and are they any good?

I'm after this size of speaker setup. ANyone suggest anything better?

2. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hartside2 I have posted a reply on your other thread. The Eltax look nice but are not that well thought of on the forum, quality sound etc.

Especially when you could get some Missions or Wharfdales for a little more money.

If possible I would have a mooch around Superfi (Grainger St) or Global HiFi- my favourite (Clayton St) especially with the Xmas sales starting.

Me and Petrolhead are going down on Friday to see what bargains are about. Don't be afraid to haggle and if you like something get them to demo them for you and then pricematch with RS as well.

Hope this helps

7ThGuest

3. CVT

CVT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought the Eltax Stargate package from QED last year & two the satellites started hissing so I treated myself to a set of Kef's. I suggest you steer clear of Eltax.

CVT

4. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - I think I'm probably going to get a set of Elac Cinema 1's
    instead

5. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hartside2

Just a thought as I have travelled this route with exactly the same speakers (Elac Cinema Sat 1's) as with everything you lose a lot of money when you have purchased your equipment, but when I wanted to trade in my Elacs after a very short period of time I only got offered £100 tops :mad: :mad:

Just thought I better warn you, like cars, some speakers hold their value more than others the Elacs certainly didn't. Notwithstanding that they were good HC sat speakers.

Regards

7ThGuest :)

6. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind that wifey wants something unobtrusive in her living room and whatever I get has to be silver, it kind of narrows the range for me at around £350 to spend (also this is the absolute max for me to spend - she gave me a limit of £250 originally!)

Room is about 5m x 6m - will the Elacs fill this ok?

7. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hartside2

my living room is just a little smaller than your and I had no problems filling that. I was using a different sub but I don't honestly think you should have any problems.

7ThGuest

8. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    The Elacs are £50 each so 5 will be £250 BUT don't forget you will need a sub. Keep you eyes on the For Sale Section and you should be able to get one within the £100.

9. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Global Hi-Fi are going to do me a new set (inc sub) for £349, so I'll probably go with them

10. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
  11. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hartside2

Tell Paul about these two sites (take the addresses in with you) he might give you a few more £'s off!! Tell him Aidan & Peter sent because he would give you a good deal.

Worth a try ;)

7ThGuest

12. hartside2

hartside2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the advert with me but £349 was the lowest he would come down to. I didn't get a chance to mention you two guys by name as I didn't get your post until I got back with the speakers.

I'm quite impressed with them already as they seem nice and solid, with good build quality. Have to go back to Global though as he's sold me the wrong lead for connecting the sub! He's sold me a "twisted subwoofer cable - single RCA to single RCA" and there's no connection on the back of the sub for this. I think I need a cable with twin RCA connectors each end (Don't know what the Yamaha 630 end needs yet as I don't get it till tomorrow) Got say I'm impressed with Global as he didn't speak to me like I was an eedjit and was more than helpful

On the subject of connecting things up, what the best way to do this with the Yamaha 630 amp? - Do I run an interconnect from the amp to the sub and then run speaker wire from the Yamaha amp to each speaker individually or is it best to use the sub to connect the individual speakers to?

13. 7ThGuest

7ThGuest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hartside2

forgiveme if the spellinf is a bit wrong, but just come back from the toon. Give him some grief about the cable and how far you've travelled.

You could have got that sort service from RS.

Connect all you speakers to the amp and your sub to the output from the amp, normally a coaxial lead.

hpe it helpsd

7Thguest, I'm going to bed:)