Advice on earthing my deck please?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by caoleuk, Jul 26, 2018.

1. caoleuk

caoleuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I have a pro-ject phono II which has an earth point which I have connected to my arm however I'm getting a few "pop's" when I take of a disc, is the because the phono stage also needs to be earted to the deck?
    I have a Michell gyrodec with an MSE arm and an Onkyo amp.

Thanks in advance
    Carole.

2. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    There should be one and only one earthed connection linking the turntable and anything downstream. The thin cable enclosing the 4 wires from the cartridge,may or may not be inside a braided shield. ..if there is, it can be connected at both ends, provided the other earth connection is not made.,otherwise the braid can be connected at one of the ends, turntable or amplifier.. it does not matter. Inappropriate earthing is usually accompanied by a hum,not pops.

3. Rachel H

Rachel H
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    The arm board needs to be connected to the record player chassis (Michell usually provide a 3" long ground cable for this - so thats 1).

If you're getting interference from the spindle (taking records on and off), you need a ground wire attached to the underside of the chassis - thats 2; from where the short one ends and then ground it to something like your phono stage grounding point - this will 99% of the time eliminate the issue. (This was often a particular problem of vintage Garrard decks).

Happy to help :clap:

4. caoleuk

caoleuk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Rachel (sorry for the late reply been very busy for a while) I thought it could be something like that so I will have a look at sorting it today :)