Advice on dvdr/hdd please

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by geordie_e, Nov 12, 2003.

1. geordie_e

geordie_e
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Just looking thru all the threads and I think im more confused now then when i started..

Im looking for a dvdr/hhd combo,
    The main use will be to record from a Humax5400 satellite reciever onto the hdd during the day while im at work, I would like to then... move the film (and cutting out ads) to say dvd-r or dvd-rw.

Ive had a look at the JVC XVDDV1 which is on the net for £427 incl delivery.. any thoughts on this machine ???

Many thanks

Geordie

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    AFAIK this is a DVD player/HDD combo that PLAYS DVD-RW, DVD-R disks etc not a DVD recorder. You'll have to wait until next year for JVC's HDD/DVDR combo.

That said there are plenty of top machines available now. In order of price:
    - Toshiba RX3
    - Panasonic HS2
    - Pioneer 5100
    - Panasonic E100

Each has been discussed to some length on various recent posts but note only the Panasonic models do RGB in (i.e. the best picture recording possible from Sky or Freeview).

You can do what you want to do (record onto the HDD in best quality and dub the editted result to DVD-R) on all four machines.

3. geordie_e

geordie_e
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak, tks for the reply will do a search on the prices of the units u mention..

all I want to do is record films during the day and then transfer them to dvd .... dvd-r would be fine but dvd-rw would be better.. incase i get bored with the films ..

Cheers
    Geordie

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    Fair one. The Pioneer 5100 writes to DVD-RW (and DVD-R) but only has an S-Video input.

Given that you can get spindles of DVD-R disks for 50p each you need to consider if an RGB-S-Video converter (around £50) is worth the difference in disk costs (100 disks basically). Anyway read through the various threads and see what seems interesting.

5. geordie_e

geordie_e
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rasczak tks,
    Time to do some more research b4 buying :)

Cheers
    Geordie