1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on DVD upgrade plese.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by rockbank, May 14, 2004.

1. rockbank

rockbank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first post here and hope it all makes sense so go easy on me.

Might be a complicated post so take your time to read carefully.

I'd like to replace my aging hi-fi with an amplifier that also has a tuner (Do they all have tuners?) Will I need to buy new speakers as well?

However the items I want to keep are my TV (with only 1 scart) my video recorder, existing DVD player and digi box. However digital coverage is a bit poor so thats why I still need an analogue tuner.

However off the old hi-fi I want to keep the 6CD multichanger(a separate unit) and hopefully route it into the amplifier so the sound routes through that.

At the moment I have a scart from the digibox to the TV and to the VCR.
    The sound output from the video recorder is run into the existing hi-fi and the sound output on the DVD runs into the input on the video recorder which then routes automatically to the hi-fi.

If we want to watch a DVD at the moment we have to unplug the scart that runs into the TV from the digibox and replace it with the DVD scart lead. No great hardship bearing in mind that we only rarely watch a DVD.

What I'm really after is a decent surround system but I don't want to end up with 2 sets of speakers, one for the hi-fi and one for the DVD.

I think what I need is an amplifier(Doly Digital, DTS etc.) with tuner that has enough coaxial spare inputs for the 6 cd multichanger. I assume I can use the currently unused optical outlet on the DVD to route to the optical inlet on the amplifier.

Oh and Mrs RB says it has to be black to match the existing cd multichanger.

Hope that makes sense. I feel a bit like that bloke on the old "Not the Nine O'clock news" sketch who wanted a gramophone.

2. Gort

Gort

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you got an AV-Amp you could route all your video and audo into the amp. On the Amp monitor output - connect this to your scart tv. You'd need an svhs to scart cable.

3. rockbank

rockbank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

Any recommendations or are they all much of a muchness?

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    An av receiver is the same as an av amplifier the only difference being that a receiver has a radio built in. Most av amps and receivers can be used as audio and video switches so you would be able to have all your audio and video sources connected to it and use it to switch between them all (handy if you only have one scart socket). You'd have to do a bit of research to find the one box solution that will handle all your requirements at the price your prepared to pay but that's where a forum like this comes in handy:) Most people only tend to use the audio functionality (myself included) that the receiver offers as it can in some cases degrade the image quality.
    You will have no problem routing all your audio sources through the av reciver (including your 6 cd changer) you'll just have to make sure it has all the relevent connections you'll require (No. of digital coax, optical and anolog) for all your kit.
    You may be able to get away with keeping your existing hifi speakers as fronts if you are able to buy a matching centre speaker. It's important to have all front three speakers similarily matched (usually same make and model) as they need to have the same voicing to give a realistic effect as sound passes across the front sound stage (the same goes for the rears).
    It would be wise to go to your local dealer to get an idea of what kind of kit is available and at what price. There is quite a range to choose from and it al comes down to how much your prepared to spend:)
    Most av receivers <£1000 do not do music as well as a designated stereo amp but I'm sure even a budget system will give you a sound comparable to a midi system and in any case if you buy an av receiver that has pre-outs you could always add an integrated at a later date (as I did) to improve stereo performance.

good hunting :smashin:

5. rockbank

rockbank
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that.

At the moment I have JVC 8 ohm front speakers and Sony 16 ohm surround speakers.

I'm guessing I will need a central speaker and a subwoofer.

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267

It's important to have the front three speakers tonally matched so as the soundtrack pans across the front soundstage no noticable differences in sound can be heard otherwise it'll ruin the illusion. You may find JVC have a centre speaker that complements the fronts you currently have. Failing that you could always use that as an excuse to upgrade the front three speakers ;)
    As to subwoofers if your looking for a budget one the MS309 has had rave reviews and retails at around £220. Please don't go out and buy a cheapo one <£200 as this will not be up to the job and will give loose distorted bass and ruin your whole set up. I'd recomend you save a little longer and get a better quality sub or go without.