1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by deand, Mar 23, 2004.

1. deand

deand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi - I need to invest in a DVD recorder. It's for the usual - recording tv programmes and watching DVD's. However, as we are a fairly numerous family, it often turns out that we have copied our DVD film via the PC. We have a RW that burns in DVD+R x8 and that obviously leads to some compatabilty issues with some of our options for playback. I have thought about getting a Panasonic E50 but realise it can't playback DVD+R. However, in that price range, the Phillips seem to have a hit and miss attitude to working. I am replacing a Phillips normal DVD player that has given up the ghost rather rapidly so would rather avoid them if I can. If I just have to write at x4 with -R on my RW, so be it - I'd rather spend a little more time in front of the PC than having the recorder unreliable.
    Don't want to spend too much and HDD not important. Any advice greatly received.

2. hotmetal

hotmetal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As far as I know the panasonic can play back a DVD+R disk as long as it has been burnt as a film. It is only the writing that is a different format. Once a disk has been finalised it is just a DVD. The panasonic will not play DVDRW disks though but I have not had a problem with any +R or -R disks I have created on the PC. I am pleased with my Panasonic even though it is a bit fussy as to which make of disk it records on.

3. deand

deand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that. I think I'll go for it - can get it for a reasonable price these days. Can I ask you what disks you use?

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    It depends on the quality of the media. My son borowed a dubious film on +r, it would not play on my Toshiba 210 or Panasonic hs2, but was fine on his budget bedroom machine.

Indeed of the 3 or 4 +r I have tried, none would play in the hs2

5. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,820
    Panasonic Recorders such as the E50 and HS2 cannot play +R/+RW's normally.

However, if the disc has the booktype changed to a DVD ROM (like a commercial DVD) then it will play. This can be done with a few PC burners such as those from NEC, Liteon and Ricoh.

6. hotmetal

hotmetal
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I must admit that I too have had some more dubious disks that would not play on the panasonic but will on much cheaper players but they were all DVD-R so it does not seem to make a difference. It just depends how they were burnt. Ones I have made on my PC have all been ok. Then again some I have made and played on the panasonic refuse to play on my elderly LG player but do on my kids cheap players.
    As for the disks I have tried to chose ones that burn at one or two times. I have had some problems with x4 disks. I have found though, that if the disk is given a title before being used it ususally is ok. I bought a batch of disks from bigpockets called One. V cheap but no trouble at all

7. Dean

Dean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Sony RDR-GX3 will playback all formats apart from RAM. It also has a superior DAC making it slightly better for playback. Very happy with mine - plus it looks the business. :smashin: