1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on dvd-r media etc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bunyboy, Jun 6, 2005.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    i'm just getting into burning my own dvd's.. i have recently had a company make a bunch of dvd copies of my showreel but am now thinking that i could do it cheaper myself (the cheapest they can do per copy is £3.50 with simple black font printed on silver disk).....

i have a pionner 104 dvd drive in my mac
    am thinking of getting a canon ip4000 printer to print onto the disks
    and am now thinking i should get taiyo yuden dvd-r's (they need to be silver printable)...... i want these disks to last as long as possible and have the best chance of playing back in any machine they are put in...

i think the disks i had done professionally are taiyo yuden but am not sure... i found a link to the number "GG000102" printed on the disk and TY when i did a google search but I'm hoping somebody could confirm or deny this is true and maybe even give me more specifics of the dvd-r's this company used...?

plus, any ideas the best place (ie good price and REAL ty disks) online or off?

thanks all............

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
  3. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I always get my media from SVP (www.svp.co.uk) - they sell TY disks (cakes of 100 about 39p a disc). You can get TY media itself, or some Verbatim media is TY.

It seems they are only listing white printable at the moment, they have silver (unbranded) in the non printable section but it looks to be smooth surface (not suitable for inkjects, but OK for thermal). If the label surface of the ones you have had done if smooth and reflective then they were not printed on an inkjet. Rather a thermal printer like the TDK-LPCW50 (http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=43675)

The GG000102 does seem to be a good indication of genuine TY discs.

Discs will work out about 40p each, and, if you use something like the TDK thermal printer it will be about another 20p to label, so a little cheaper than 3.50

Darn, beaten to it.

4. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    thanks mark

svp only have white printable dvd-r's and im after the silver kind (and hopefully a pack a little smaller than 100)

plus dvd identifier is for PC only and im on a mac.. but in case any other mac owners are after this too.. ive just found an equivilant called 'dvd media inspector' which i found after a search around the web....

i think the disks i have are TY... the code that pops up is 'TYG02' - but i'd really like to get even more specific and find out exactly what these disks are.. i like them and would like to buy some!

5. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hey - thanks.. lots of extra interesting stuff in there (so no need for the darn it)... the type printed on the silver disks i have (its just a couple of lines of black text) seems to have a matt finish and is rougher than the sections of disk that have no print on...... does that mean its inkjet?

i did spot some printable disks that said 'thermal' and had no idea what that meant.... the tdk printer looks interesting but im not sure exactly how it works? is it a different method of printing onto the disks and which is prefferable?

thanks

6. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's probably thermal transfer (it's kind of a wax thats melted on I think). If the surface is smooth and reflective (not the printed bit) - like you get with commercial DVDs and CD's that don't have a full picture - then it will not have been printed by an inkjet.

To use an inkjet the disk surface has to be rough (like paper) and the ink takes time to dry (you may also need to spray it with a protective varnish). However you can print full pictures (and full colour) on the disks if you want rather than just a little text and you can use the printer for other things.

A thermal printer uses disks that have a completly smooth surface (the top of the disk should show reflections), these are often sold as 'unbranded' as orginally you would have printed a paper label and stuck it on. The main advantage of this is that it looks more professional and doesn't smudge or need drying time, the disadvantage is they can only be used printing DVD / CDs, the cartridges are fairly expensive and only a limited amount of space can be printed. Inkjet printable disks can be used with a thermal printer but it doesn't look great - the output can have small spots where it hasn't transferred.

Most people use inkjets but you may find for showreels that the thermal printer (a nice silver disk with sharp black text) looks more professional.

7. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    wow - i had no idea that the inkjet printable cd's had a rough look to them (im getting a sample or two so ill be able to check it out) coz that might not be good enough for what i want... i was hoping i could make my own copies look the same for a smaller cost but its getting more complicated now...

i looked at some of the cheaper thermal printers and it seems you are very restricted in the printing (not even able to change the font print size - which is bad for me coz i need to use two different fonts and sizes) - i assume more expensive 'thermal' printers can do more....

do you know how every day movie dvd's are printed?

looks like im gonna have to do a lot more research..........

thanks

8. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a posher version of the TDK 50 (the 100, see here: http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=110698) that will print a larger area and handle graphics (and therefore any font).

Just found this: http://shop.cd-writer.com/acatalog/ALL_PRODUCTS_PRIMERA_SIGNATURE_Z1_DVD_AND_CD_PRINTER_679.html however it says no mac support, homepage is here: http://www.primera.com/signaturez1.html

Inkjet printers are most common for home users (the cannon you mention or Epson R200/300) but the disks will not have the shiny silver look.

With regard to commerical CD/DVD's, the ones with colour pictures on tend to show moire patterns so are printed by some kind of inkjet and the ones with just writing tend to have no moire so are some kind of direct transfer (like thermal)

For best of both (full colour photos and perfrect finish text on unbranded discs) you need something like the Teac P-55 (http://shop.cd-writer.com/acatalog/ALL_PRODUCTS_TEAC_P_55_THERMAL_DVD_CD_PRINTER_665.html) - a snip at £4,700

9. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    so if im using an inkjet printer like the canon it might be better to print on the whole disk rather than just a simple type across sections..... the way id like that is an all black background with a white font.... but that's gonna be a lot of black ink for every disk!

10. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The silver inkjet printables a do look nice, but will never look like a commercial disk (unless you print over the entire surface). Also, inkjet printers can't make white (actually with special cartidges you can but its only done by print house types and bizarre arty people). Aslong as it looks neat and clear it really shouldn't matter how you print it for showreels.

If you want white on your disk surface (either picture or text) you will have to use white surfaced inkjet disks.

11. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    well.. i guess ill have to get white surfaced disks then.. is it true printing on them comes out better anyway?

i wonder what happens if you use a silver surface disk and print a picture with white in it? does it just assume you're using a white disk and leave those areas blank? the silvery look might look quite nice!

thanks for the help

ps. anyone got a printed disk using the canon ip4000 they can post?