Advice on double-sided DVD-RAM discs

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dmr, Apr 6, 2004.

1. dmr

dmr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daft question (my speciality......), but I was wondering whether a DVD-RAM recorder (such as the E55) would automatically record on the second side of a double-sided disc if there's not enough space on the first side or whether you have to take the disc out and turn it over?

i.e. so that you could record a football match or a film using the highest 1-hour quality recording.

Thanks.

2. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    No. it hasn't got a hand fitted to be able to turn it over!

3. DaveyS

DaveyS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. mrtonywade

mrtonywade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    your have to turn the disc over yourself, as far as i know there is,nt yet a recorder out that will play the other side automatically
    like a auto reverse tape cassette, but, no doubt this will soon change, especally with the rising demand for recorderble dvd

5. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its most unlikely that a dual laser machine would ever be introduced as the technology to install hard drives is much more effective, and probably cheaper. IE max on a double sided ram at best quality is 2 hours, hs2 is 8 hours, E100 16 hours and no doubt it will continue increasing as newer models come out. It is the crippled machine without the hard drive that is likely to be a short lived fashion.

6. mrtonywade

mrtonywade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you think????
    i have a machine with no hard drive, and no problums
    i do my editing on my pc, dvd ram and then copy to dvd
    i just use the dvd recorder like a vidio

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Yes but it can only do 1 hour at best quality without attention from you to change the media. That is just not acceptable, even a video could do 3 hours at its best quality.

OK I know the video is probably worse than on the 2 or 4 hour dvd setting, but thats not the point when you want to record programs to watch later at broadcast quality.

How can you do effective editing on the pc when you can only hold 1 hour on each media at best quality. To compromise and use a lower quality setting immediately puts you at a disadvantage when editing and re-encoding in the computer.

I have tried pc editing and much prefer the quick and easy HS2 editing, and its ability to exactly fit the finished product to the media obtaining best quality possible.

When you look at the HS2 it is virtually identical to the equivalent E55 in terms of components and circuitry to do the job. As a ram disc works identically to a hard drive, the only extra cost in producing a hard drive model is about £40 (40gb drives from scan under £30).
    The reason they cost so much more is just to make a big profit and they will eventually become the recorder of choice for anyone who understands how they work.
    This is then 8 times as good as the plain dvd recorder that you have for less than twice the price for a hs2 and 3 times for an E100, but eventually this differential will shrink to probably less than a 20% premium for all the extra space and convenience.

8. mrtonywade

mrtonywade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A, I missed this one, :oops:sorry i never got back,:suicide:
    how times change,
    and oppinions,
    I still have a DVD Ram player, only now it has a 160GB hard drive:lesson:
    However, that is the least technical product that i now have in my living room (frontroom) But I still use that for editing