1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on DLP's in 'bright' rooms

Discussion in 'TVs' started by ronray, Sep 2, 2005.

1. ronray

ronray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My dad is considering purchasing a Samsung SP50L7HXX for his new house. I've read some reviews and comments on this set and although it sounds pretty good I'm a bit concerned about how well it will perform in the room it is intended to go in. My dad is not really a cinema buff and would mostly be using it for day to day viewing.

Although it would be installed in a corner with no direct sunlight on it there are 3 walls with double width patio doors in the room. In addition to this the floor and walls are white so it is very bright - virtually like a conservatory. He won't want to be pulling curtains across when he sits down to watch news etc.

Whilst I believe DLP's produce a brighter picture than older rear projection TV's, I've seen the Samsung in a couple of Comet and Curreys stores and they did not seem like they produced an image as bright as a traditional TV or plasma even though there were tucked away in dark corners.

So based on the above info do you think a DLP would be appropriate or should I suggest to my dad that he considers a Plasma TV?

2. indie24

indie24

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    mine is acroos the room opposite some patio doors and it seems fine

3. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Ronray :hiya:

Welcome to the forums.

My room is quite bright due to light walls and 2 big windows(one at either side), although watching dlp is better at night i dont have a problem watchin it during the day.
    The images you'll have seen at currys and comet will have been due to crappy set up, when its in your house and set up correctly the images are totaly different, much much better.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Ditto to the above. Demoed several sets including this one in various stores. Almost all needed the picture settings changed to show a decent picture. When adjusted, even in brightly lit stores the results were excellent.

When you get it home and really get to play with the settings (and using better equipment and connectors than the stores do) the PQ can be gobsmacking.

Trust me - brightness is not an issue with this set! Buy yourself some shades to go with it! :cool:

5. phcahill

phcahill
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I found my HD45 almost too bright and set the bulb to economy mode.

Check yourselves for seeing rainbows on these TV's. My wife does not but I do and had to return the set. Wait for a dark scene and then look around the picture as if you were following the action. Although flicking your eyes from side to side may show rainbows, you won't be doing this during normal viewing.

6. malso

malso
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the DLP at Currys looked the same as it did at home (after setting up/fine tuneing), then nobody here would ever buy them....... :D

the DLP suffers far more from poor quality feeds/ cables etc, than any other type of tv................Currys know this, but they cant be bothered to spend the money to display them correctly..........hence they look so bad.

Currys is great to buy from, but do your research here first...........i'd buy a SP50 or Sagam 56'' etc; without bothering to see it, there's no point seeing them turned on anyway..........BECAUSE THEY'LL LOOK CRAP :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

i have no choice....not where i live!

but i trust what i read on the web and that is, it'll only look great with top quality hardware/software.........e.g you cant use poor cables, poor DVD players......... and unfortunately for many DLP's...........analogue signal.

from what i read, you have to get this right............but with CRT, no problem at all.......they look awesome in Currys, because CRT aren't nearly as sensative as DLP.

7. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Not true. Of course they look better with top quality hardware and connections (any type of screen does), but I saw some demos with some fairly cheap and basic players and the screens still looked impressive.

As for Currys being great to buy from... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

I suggest you read through these threads a little more carefully!

8. ronray

ronray
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone. Thanks for the advice. That has really put my mind at ease. I was a bit worried that it would only really work well in a 'home cinema' room but it sounds like it will be fine in virtually any environment. I thought that Curry's etc didn't set the units up that well but I didn't realise quite how bad a job they did of it!

9. Br41ns

Br41ns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    :hiya:

Currys and Comet couldnt set a tv up correctly if their life depended on it, monkeys spring to mind. :D