• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Advice on DAC Please

Baldness

Novice Member
My wife is about to inherit a Hi-Fi system from her late Dad.

It comprises of

AVI Laboratory Series Integrated Amp
AVI Laboratory Series CD player
AVI Laboratory Series DAB Tuner

Not sure what the speakers are but they will be well matched and probably AVI and wouldn't be looking to change them

Do we need to get a DAC and or a Network Music Player to stream music - what types are going to be appropriate quality etc to go with this type of system

We use PCs, smart Phones, Tablets, Alexa etc, are aware of bluetooth speakers but generally don't have our music particularly organised in one place - through one device etc. Thats not especially important either so not looking to rip an entire CD collection either.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Hixs

Distinguished Member
You'll likely need a streamer. Most, if not all streamers have an inbuilt DAC, so you won't need to purchase both. Question is, how much do you want to spend?

A streamer can be had from £22 up to many thousands....

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
The AVIs are genuinely first class hifi. Top notch, multi award winning class.

You don’t say what speakers you’ll be using... if they are AVI then you’re getting some seriously fine hifi. I’m jealous indeed.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
As for a suitable streamer, they can be had for a few quid.

But really, it would be heresy to skimp on one considering the pedigree of the AVI set up.

I’d suggest as the very bare minimum, you use one of these;

Yamaha WXAD10 (Dark Grey)

If you can afford to then this is about as useful as it gets. It also includes a mighty fine dac.

Cambridge Audio CXN V2 (Silver)

I can’t think of anything that can’t stream to it, and the sound quality is universally praised.

In between the above then there’s likely going to be not much to touch this one. And again it uses an excellent dac.

Audiolab 6000N PLAY (Black)

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom