Advice on Custom Media Unit for 75Q90R and HW-Q90R Soundbar

Potatoe Farmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Cable management advice please.

So after over a year of deliberation, I'm about to order the 75Q90R and HW-Q90R Soundbar.

I have a custom media unit being made.

This is the room and I have a viewing distance of 5m from couch.
tv unit a3.JPG

The custom oak unit has ended up as 2300mm long by 475mm high to line up with a window board to the right hand side in pics further below. It's divided up into three pull out drawer sections of 700mm, 900mm and 700mm. There are no handle cut outs they are push to open. The middle 900mm wide section has a fixed shelf for One Connect Box and Sky Q box. Both 700mm sections have a high level drawer also. Here is a pic of it as it is now at joiners. Its all oak, nice dovetail joints. It needs to be oiled, it also needs plinth below, Sides and Oak top. It looks small in image, but is quite a beast.
IMG-20190417-WA0001 (002).jpg

tv unit a1.jpg

tv unit a.jpg

I will be placing soundbar on unit, and my intention is to wall mount the tv with bottom of tv aprox 200mm above unit, this will leave c100mm between top of sound bar and bottom of tv.
The one connect cable will drop down wall so visible for this 100mm or so. I could chase wall etc but i don't think necessary...?

The rear and bottom is ventilated with large holes, and there are ventilation holes in plinth.
I'm thinking of having a cut out in the top of the oak top over the middle drawer unit housing the one connect bok etc. This will provide additional through ventilation. It will be hidden by the sound bar in front of it.

What is the size of the connection either end of one connect cable, its quite big i believe?
Someone please advice how I should connect the sound bar to the one connect box.
What size hole should I go for perhaps 60mm?
Joiner could also route out say a 12mm wide line say 300mm long to assistt with ventilation, again obscured by sound bar.

Only frustration is, the unit comes next week, so I will order tv for the same. But i wont be getting the soundbar for another month I guess when it launches.

Any other final suggestions welcome and appreciated.

Really excited now as the current tv is entry level and only 49'' with a 5 meter viewing distance.

How much is your joiner charging you?

I like how the drawers open. I’d suggest the area where the OCB is housed have ventilation on three sides that are available.

The bar should be connected via hdmi arc port on both.

Add pics when all is in place.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom