Advice on controlling work lights in carport

leigh120585

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, long time member here delving into some smart home tech.

I have some security lights in my car port which I also use as work lights. My plan is to link these to my Arlo system to activate when motion is detected by the camera.

I have convinced my wife to let me buy a Phillips hue starter cut and was hoping this would work with implementing this into the work lights.

Also would I need to have a Samsung smart things hub to control the fibaro as this uses zwave?

I have seen the fibaro switches that will give me a smart control but also retain the use of a normal outside switch when I just want to use it.

I'm not sure if the fibaro would fit in the external light switch or if I would need to integrate it in using an external junction box.

The lights which I have is these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Onforu-Wat...+LED+Flood+Light,+10000lm+5000K+Daylight+Whit

I'm a complete noob and the more I research into this the more confusing it becomes so if anyone is willing to help with any information I would be very grateful.

Thanks for your help

Leigh

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
OK I think that you have got yourself really confused here. The Philips Hue really are not needed in this setup.
The Fibaro modules will allow both smart and manual control of your lights. You will need some form of Hub, such as Smartthings to Control the Fibaro modules. With a little tweaking and some IFTTT interaction your Arlo should be able to trigger your lights for security. You will also be able to control them via Alexa or Google.

If you have the Philips hue stuff in the house then one of these can be used to add a none dimmable light to work with Hue.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FBD96DG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_cLyACb75B342B

I've just installed one to control a floodlight outside.

20190217_155253.jpg
20190217_155324.jpg

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Jamie, thanks for your quick reply.

Yes I did see these ZigBee switches, with this type of switch can you still you still use the light switch to manually turn the light on and off? And still have control via a smart controller to activate the light. I was under the impression that's what the fibaro does with the switches they have on offer.

Thanks leigh

Mushi, thanks for your reply. I noticed your very up to speed with this. Appreciate all your input on the forum

Leigh

Mushi, does the smart things pick up the fibaro automatically or is there some coding involved?

You just have to go through the pairing procedure for Smartthings to see the Fibaro module.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom