1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on connecting this all up please?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by ian1969uk, Aug 1, 2005.

1. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am awaiting delivery of a new HD ready LCD TV and am a bit confused by all the different connectors on that and my DVD recorder.

The TV is this model:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/3/37pf5520d_10/37pf5520d_10_pss_eng.pdf

The DVD recorder is:
    http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...vdrecorders-dvdrecorders-rd-xs34?opendocument

I have video games consoles which will connect through the yellow/white/red cables on the side. I also have an NTL digital box which has 2 SCART sockets.

Can somebody please advise on how to connect it all up to get the best picture quality, particularly to use both DVD and TV in progressive scan. I have normal SCART leads at present but am happy to buy new cables if you can advise on which I need.

I REALLY appreciate any help...thanks!

2. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No-one?

3. ColdKilla

ColdKilla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    For the best quality go for component leads from the dvd player - assuming the screen has component in???

Mark Grant cables found on this forum are the best money can buy! At a reasonable price!

CK

4. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does Mark do a component > DVI cable that will fit my Philips telly?

5. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This will only give you stereo audio and composite picture quality, a crying shame for such a screen methinks.

I wouldn't bother with a component to DVI, get two good fully wired scarts and hook the DVD into Scart 1 on the TV for RGB quality and daisy chain NTL into your DVD for RGB. You could then get a good quality console Scart cable for your games console and daisy chain that through NTL for RGB also. Then maybe a nice audio Receiver for optical audio from the DVD, NTL and the console :thumbsup:

6. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If I don't use the component input, though, won't I lose progressive scan?

7. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you will, forgot you wanted progressive :blush:

8. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi taffy, just pre-ordered an XBox 360 which I will want to use through my DVI socket, so am interested in how you said to do things above.

I'm no expert, though, so am a little confused by what you term 'daisychain'. I get the principle, but am unsure how it would work in practice.

Can you explain in a little more detail please. For example, if I connect the TV into the DVD and the DVD into NTL, on what AV channel would I view NTL? The TV wouldn't be directly connected to the NTL box, so I'm a bit unsure. Could I then still record something from NTL whilst watching a DVD? (seems they would be sharing the same AV channel, but I'm probably wrong).

Thanks...I appreciate as much detail as you can give me. You obviously know your stuff.

9. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian, I would connect the DVD directly to your screen with a a high quality fully wired scart cable, I would favour the DVD over NTL as a direct connection as a DVD picture is inherently superior to NTL's efforts. Then to 'daisy chain' the cable box through the DVD with another high quality fully wired scart cable. So from the TV down it would go like this, LCD = DVD = NTL. The NTL box won't be connected directly to your screen but will use the DVD and it scart to reach the LCD. So you get two components reaching the LCD through one scart, but with both still using the high quality RGB scart signal. :thumbsup:

On the same AV channel that you would view the DVD, they would 'share' the same channel.

No, you couldn't do that wether you were daisychaining or not. You can't use a DVD recorder to view a DVD and record from NTL as that would require 2 discs to be in the player at the same time. To record from NTL to the DVD recorder, you will need to tune the NTL box to a AV channel on the DVD recorder.

10. ian1969uk

ian1969uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, thanks, that makes more sense. I asked about recording/watching at the same time as my DVD recorder has DVD disk and hard drive, meaning I can record onto one and watch the other at the same time.

Will I notice a big difference in quality from the component connection I now have to my DVD if I connected through RGB Scart instead?

11. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry m8, the link to the DVD recorder you listed is dead so I didn't know the DVD has a hard drive, I've never had experience with one of these so I can't tell you if you can watch a DVD while recording NTL. I would of thought it is possible though.

There's no doubt that component is superior to RGB Scart, but if you were to use a good quality scart cable then I doubt you would see much, if any degredation in picture quality :thumbsup: