Advice on connecting PWD7 or PWD8

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by A J M, Aug 11, 2005.

1. A J M

A J M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently deciding between a much discounted PWD7 and the new PWD8 from AV sales (thanks Alistair for all the help this afternoon).

I have loads of questions, but to kick things off

1. Will my Freeview box connected to the VGA prot via a JS rgb to VGA converter be a better picture than connected directly to a Scart board? (AV Sales PWD7s come with a free scart board)

2. Will connecting a DVD player via scart RGB through JS RGB to VGA give a similar quality picture compared to a direct connection to a component board? (allowing only one VGA cable connection). How much better would Prog scan DVD player direct to the component board be?

PS I don't have any component switching capability in my amp, which is why I'm toying with going down the JS VGA route

Cheers

2. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
  3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Connecting the Freeview box via a VGA converter will give a crisper picture than via the scart board which produces a rather "soft" picture.

Whether the DVD connected via component will out-perform a converted VGA connection depends on the quality of the DVD player. A top of the range DVD with progressive scan will better the deinterlacer in the plasma panel.

4. A J M

A J M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very helpful

So if I daisychain my old toshiba DVD palyer through the freeview box, into a JS RGB to VGA convertoer and connect to the panel's VGA socket, I'll probably get as good a picture as I can. If I upgrade the DVD player in the future, that will probably be worth getting a dedicated Component / DVI / HDMI board.

By the way, how expensive do you have to go before deinterlacing in the player is better than the screen?

THanks

Andrew

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    To get the best PQ out of the Freeview box you have 3 alternatives:

1. JS Tech RGB to VGA converter - great PQ but no ability to alter the colour saturation - you may well not need to do so, so possibly no problem.

2. JS Tech RGB to component converter - a bit more expensive than the above, gives colour saturation control and very similar PQ.

3. A scaler that does far more than a conversion device can do, the good ones allow the greyscale to be far more accurately set than can be done in the plasma.

The deinterlacers in the Panasonic plasmas are good. The exact price point at which a DVD with progressive scan will be better is debatabtle, I doubt it is less than £500.

6. A J M

A J M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Piers

As a final point, is the JS RGB to vga convertor worth £110, given that I will lose the ability to change colour saturation and WS switching, or am I better just sticking with the Scart input board and saving for a scaler? What scaler would you suggest?

(Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I want to get to the bottom of this pretty quickly!)

7. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    Sorry for the slow reply this time ; )

Some people find the lack of colour saturation control a problem but many don't. The alternative is the more expensive RGB to YUV converter. WS switching is another matter - you either do it manually, spend more on an auto switcher (I've never tried one so cannot comment on how good they are) or stick with the scart board.

Lumagen DVI or better still Lumagen HDP are the scalers that I would be recommending.

8. A J M

A J M
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Piers

I'm going to order the PWD7 with just the scart input board for now.

If I don't get on with the picture, I can investigate other routes in the future, probably a new DVD palyer, scaler and ISF callibration (in that order).

Thanks for all your help