Advice on connecting Foxsat-HDR to Onkyo TX-SR606?

itm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Foxsat-HDR Freesat receiver, which has an SPDIF output and apparently supports Dolby Digital. I also have an LG 42LB1DB TV and an Onkyo TX-SR606 receiver.
I want to set up the Foxsat so that I can get Dolby Digital surround sound via the Onkyo, but when I connect the SPDIF output directly from the Foxsat to the Onkyo it is displayed as a PCM source (I was expecting it to recognise it as a Dolby Digital source).
I have the HDMI output from the Foxsat connected directly to the TV, and have also tried connecting the SPDIF output from the TV to the SPDIF input on the Onkyo, but this also shows up as a PCM input on the Onkyo.
What's the best way of setting up these three components to get the best audio quality from the Foxsat?

Have you turned Dolby Digital on? There is probably a menu option in the Foxsat for that. There is a lengthy thread on Foxsat elsewhere in the forum. Also what channels are you watching? I would imagine that you will only get DD on the HD channels. Doesn't the Foxsat output DD over HDMI? Maybe a fellow owner will be able to confirm but I think your question is Foxsat related and not receiver related.

Dolby Digital is switched on on the Humax, so it should be transmitting it
???

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom