1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on choosing an HDMI DVD player?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Geiger, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Geiger

Geiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just got my new Samsung HD DLP TV (SP46L6HX) and I am looking for some advice about DVD players to hook up. I've read the reviews for the Samsung HD945 on the site, which seem very positive to say the least. At the street price it seems very impressive, and unless I would gain much by spending more I'm thinking it may be the way to go. Is the HD950 a new version of the 945? Looking for any general comments but also:

How much better than component is the picture using HDMI ? I realise that it won't give full Hi Definition but is the performance with today's DVD's very much improved by using HDMI ? (I did read the comments about green blocking but it sounds as though this is not too noticable).

The situation I'm in is that I need to buy a new DVD player now as my current one doesn't even have component out. So any comments gratefully received as I'm itching to get this new stuff set up optimally.

One other query, are the HD945 / 950 region hackable?

Hoping to get this up and running within days and will post review / pics as soon as I can.

Thanks
    G.

2. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Am in a similar situation. From what I have read on this forum in Mags etc the 950 is a good player but have also heard good things about the Panny S-97 which has HDMI. But I am currently Favouring the Samsung 850 over the panny as it has DivX playback and is only going to be for a 26" screen and because the 950 is practically identical except its black not silver and comes with a HDMI cable whereas the 850 doesnt come with a cable AND the 950 is nigh on impossible to get hold of at the moment as you will see if you search this forum. 850 is available at comet/currys etc for £99 on-line or £109 in store.

3. GeoffR

GeoffR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi just went through all of this myself you can read the thread here http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221847 I tried HDMI from an HTPC and whilst it was ok ended up with a Harmon Kardon DV22 on component which on my Toshiba dlp telly gives great PQ and audio.

Geoff