Advice on choosing a gaming/office monitor please

Dr.Rock

Hi,

I've have £198.13 to spend on my home office (which I won in a competition held by my company), and I want to spend it on a PC gaming monitor. Can someone please recommend a good one that can fit the budget? My requirements: 24 inch (or thereabouts) IPS monitor which I'll be using for office work, Internet browsing, photo and video editing, watching videos and playing games (mainly 3D first person shooter). I've read that for a 24 inch monitor, best to get 1080p rather than 1440p as the difference isn't noticeable on a monitor that size; and no use getting a 27 inch unless it's 1440p as 1080 may look a bit pixelated. Some monitors state HDR10, others state DIsplayHDR 400 -- is there a difference, are they compatible with the same thing? And some are FreeSync, others are G-Sync Compatible, so is it recommended that I get the latter to suit my nVidia GTX 1070 GPU, or is it a feature that can be ignored?

Thanks.

no monitor at that price is going do be able to display HDR so ignore anything related to that, most high end monitors are terrbile at it as well so its not a knock at budgets monitors. Fressysnc works with both AMD and Nvidia cards so thats usually what I go for , Gsync does the same thing but only for Nvidia cards.

With that amount of money I would get this 24" 1080p monitor - I have a 27" 1440p version and like it a lot - there is also a 27" 1080p version for £198 but as you say maybe 24" is better for that res.

Amazon product

also its mentioned here under the $200 dollar best monitors section - Hardware Unboxed really know there monitors so this is a real recommendation.

Last edited:

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I don't know who told you it wouldn't be noticeable, but they're dead wrong for your use. For most programs (excluding video and many games) a higher resolution will make everything smaller. This has the advantage of allowing you to fit more stuff on screen, but also makes it harder to read text and so on.

The 'normal' size that stuff is designed to is 96dpi, which works out at around 23" for FHD and 32" for QHD. So the former would be the default choice at 24", unless you're sat particularly close or like everything particularly small.

HDR10 is a signal format for HDR video data, while DisplayHDR is a certification program for a display's ability to reproduce a higher dynamic range. 400 is the level for a standard desktop monitor with no special HDR kit.

HDR hardware is currently pretty pricey and I wouldn't expect much of it in a £200 monitor so it's probably best just to stick to a normal sRGB screen. Although unlike with TVs there's probably less risk of a bad implementation making things look worse than not having it.

The variable refresh rate branding got out of hand and it's not terribly useful these days.

It started off with nVidia introducing a monitor controller that produced variable refresh rates which they called G-sync.

AMD then pointed out this was already a feature in the eDP standard for laptop displays and worked with VESA to get it introduced into the main DisplayPort standard. The DP Spec called it Adaptive Sync and AMD launched a marketing campaign around the name Freesync.

Then Freesync got extended to a custom implementation of VRR for HDMI.

Then nVidia, after dragging their heels for years, decided to support the DisplayPort implementation but kept the same G-sync branding.

Then HDMI included VRR support as part of the main spec.

If you're going to be using DIsplayPort connections then Freesync and G-sync compatible are the same thing - the official DisplayPort Adaptive Sync.

I seem to remember on the HDMI side the HDMI 2.1 implementation was only supported by the GTX 16 and newer cards and the older implementation wasn't supported by nVidia at all so I'm not sure it'd work here.

JollyJamma

best to get 1080p rather than 1440p as the difference isn't noticeable on a monitor that size;
Huuuge difference between 1080P and 1440P. I got 2 times 27" 1440P monitors and its fantastic for work.

If I was you, Id get a 1440P 75hz monitor with good reviews. Because you are priced fixed, the reduction in hertz will bring the price down.

The others are correct - forget about HDR and some of the other features. THey aren't really possible at your budget.

This should be fine. Its not very bright at 350 lumens but itll do pretty well

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom