1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on choice of projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ZEUS, Mar 12, 2003.

1. ZEUS

ZEUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am buying my first projector and was wondering if any of you had an opinion on which is best from the following: Panasonic PTAE300, Sanyo PLV-Z1 or the Sony VPL HS10? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I also am looking for a DVD home theatre kit with a good output and progressive scan if anyone knows of a good one??

2. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in a similar position and found this forum to be excellent. I've also used:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com
    which seems to have a lot of PJ reviews and also user feedback in the 'Get Bids' section. There's even an article on the 3 PJs you mention:
    http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_pt_l300u.htm

I'm still a novice but this is what I've picked up so far...
    For a PJ around the £1750 mark I think I've decided on the Panny for the following reasons:
    1)Short Throw (my room is fairly small so I'll only have the PJ around 3m from the screen, ceiling mounted)
    2)Low Noise: The HS10 seems to have a slightly louder fan than the Panny and I'm very fussy about any external noise. (I'm currently planning to have Acoustilay soundproofing fitted to the room while we're redoing the floors)
    3) Panny has DVI input which I believe the PLV-Z1 does not. As i plan to eventually use my home PC with the PJ, this is important to me.

The HS10 does have a higher native res which is a serious benefit in my books but as long as the Panny seems more reliable than the previous model, I'll think I'll stick with it.

Of course each PJ has its pros and cons and I'd recommend you go to a dealer and try and demo all 3 together to see what suits you sir.

Hope this is of some help,
    Richard :hiya:

3. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK, 1:1 pixel mapping via DVI is nigh on impossible.

Don't think anyone's even managed 1:1 via VGA.

Points to note if a HCPC is a priority.

4. ZEUS

ZEUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys most helpful!!

5. John_N

John_N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choices:

1) HS10 :clap:

2) AE300

HS10 good things.

High resolution
    Very good picture
    1:1 mapping via DVI input on home theatre PC is possible.

AE300 good things
    Quieter fan.
    very slightly better contrast ratio than HS10. However, I would imagine that once the HS10 is fitted with the CC40R filter, the contrast ratio and black level are pretty similar.

Can you guess I'm an HS10 owner?

The fan noise on the HS10 is not as bad as people make out.

I discovered I could reduce my fan noise quite a bit by keeping the room a bit cooler and also by making sure that hot air from the exhaust could not find it's way back into the intakes (my unit is upside-down you see). I fitted an air-deflector and the fan noise was reduced. I also turned the radiator in the room down!

Overall I think I would still get the HS10. The higher resolution does it for me..

John

6. Rick1486

Rick1486
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear John and Kramer and everyone else. I know I'm being ultra thick but would someone please explain in plain English exactly what 1:1 pixel mapping is and what it does/how it benefits us.

Cheers
    Rick

7. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The concept is easy :)

1:1 mapping means that for every one pixel in you source you have one pixel on your display. So say for an AE-300 you feed it 960x540 and it displays exactly 960x540 pixels lined up beautifully on its 960x540 panel, in reality it doesn't :)

No one knows why. :)

Now the issue is of course 'How does it look' well when looking at a PC desktop anything not 1:1 does not look good.

When looking at video played back via a HTPC the story is very different as the source material is rarely (if ever) the same resolution as the 1:1 mapping you've managed to achieve between the PC and the projector ie, PAL DVD is 720 lines going into 768 on a HS10 or 540 on an AE300 so your 1:1 is compromised by scaling and thus losing some of the benefit.

Not by much tho, HTPC DVD playback via DVI on the AE300 still looks great, I tend to use 1280x720 and let the AE300 downscale this. I don't doubt the HS10 is even better though, for use that is going to be predominently HTPC WXGA res is going to be king.

If however you're look at something that you can trivially toss any video material at (Sky/DVD/PS2 etc..) and can do HTPC decently then the AE300 is great.

If you want the killer HTPC set-up the the HS10 comes into play :)

The AE300 is also fantastic if your room isn't long enough for a HS-10.

And it's cheaper :)

And it's shinier :p

And you get that moment of suspense when you turn it on in expectation of it blowing up :(

-- Jon

8. TrickyDicky

TrickyDicky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Quick check gothmog...I thought MPEG-2 standards are:
    NTSC 525/60: 720x480, 704x480
    PAL 625/50: 720x576, 704x576

Panny AE300 Native Res= 960x540 Pixels
    Sony HS10 Native Res= 1366x768 Pixels MaxRes=1152x870 Pixels

So it isn't such a big squeeze for the Panny for vertical resolution,
    even before the 16:9 stuff. I understood that a good HTPC output will always beat a standalone non-progressive component output.???..anyway, going off topic here.
    I see the feedback so far seems to favour the £600 extra for the Sony. Wonder if 'er indoors would mind selling her car????:nono:

Richard

9. gothmog

gothmog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, I was thinking one thing and typing something else (not for the first time ;) )

-- Jon