Advice on centre speaker issue

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MrG99, Jan 2, 2007.

1. MrG99

MrG99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all,

I've got a bit of a mixed bag in the speaker department - B&W CC6 centre, Mission Elegante e83 floorstander fronts, B&W dipole sides and TDL RTL3 rear surrounds (as left over from original hifi). My main concern is with the centre speaker - everything is being driven by a denon avc-a1se (170watts per channel) and I've set up the balances properly using a sound meter. However I always feel that the centre speaker seems buried and a bit subdued like it needs turning up.

I know most people will say it's a cheap speaker in comparison to the main fronts but in previous systems it always seemed loud? The obvious choice would have been the Elegante centre but having seen it's small size and read the spec sheet, I can't see it being much better than the B&W. Do I need something really beefy with multiple drivers and what would you recommend?

2. MrG99

MrG99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Anyone??

3. MrG99

MrG99
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Wow - can't believe the lack of ideas?

4. ssuellid

ssuellid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Turn up the volume for the centre speaker. I found that the sound level meter setup settings needed tweaking by ear whilst playing proper material rather than a test tone. Trust your ears.

I am a big believer in matched speakers for surround sound - tonally that is - don't always have to be the same brand. So I would try the Elegante centre.