• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on ceiling speakers

smallangryboy

Established Member
We are have some major building works done to our elderly house.

With the main HiFi being in the front room, the sound is very muted when it finally reaches the kitchen at the back of the house, so I was thinking of adding a stereo pair of ceiling mounted speakers in the kitchen/dining room.

Has anyone done this and what were the results in terms of sound quality? On my hit list are Monitor Audio and Kef, would anyone recommend one over another? I used to own a pair of MA silver 8i's so I guess I'm used to the Monitor Audio sound but how good will a small pair of these ceiling speakers really be?

Pop up Dragon

Established Member
Hi
I use in ceilings as my main speakers(great SWMBO points) and can say that if you go for good quality speakers and use something as a back box(i use rock wool) the results a re very good.You can get in ceiling/wall speakers now costing well over £20K and the market for these is growing with more and more people looking to have "lifestyle" systems.Just one thing to mention is that most speakers lock to the plasterboard with a compresion system,so set your screwdriver clutch at a low setting ou the pasterboard will pop(yes i did it and felt a fool).

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
I'm looking myself at the mo... i've always loved the Kef sound, but the B&W ones seem pretty damn good for the money aswell...

Guess it depends on your budget really!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello smallangryboy

As you reduce your budget for your In-ceiling loudspeakers you'll certainly not have to worry about the sound being 'very muted' - quite the opposite in fact ;)

Best regards

Joe

smallangryboy

Established Member
lol yes bright and breezy speakers are something I'm not in a rush to purchase, but I do want something capable that won't make a big hole in my wallet, after all they're only for when we are sat at the dining table or in the kitchen so don't need to win major awards !

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom