Advice on ceiling speaker placement and designation

MacReady

After a bit of back and forth, and some great advice from forum members, I have decided to ditch one pair of Dali Alteco C1’s that are currently in ‘up firing’ mode sat on my surround speakers.

I am also replacing my current surrounds (MA BX1’s) with a pair of Dali Oberon On Wall’s.
Originally the on walls were going behind the listening position in the attached diagram but I have per sauce my other half to get rid of a unit we have in the lower left, behind the left hand door, so the surround speakers can go on the side walls. It’s not ideal as one will be much further away from the MLP but I will see what Audyssey can do with that.

i am also mounting a front pair of Dali Alteco C1’s at ceiling height above the front main L/R Opticon 6’s…these should be ideally placed to direct down at the MLP.

I have bought a pair of Dali Phantom E60’s to mount in the ceiling but am not sure where the best position would be to get the best height effect in conjunction with the Alteco’s at the front?
In the diagram, which of the three positions is best and, when they are installed, am I better off setting my Marantz SR7012 as having front height and middle top, or front height and rear top?

Any advice gratefully welcomed on this please.
C566574C-2748-4292-8A82-ECBB325DAAF8.png

MacReady

Any advice on the best location of the top ceiling speakers please? I have just stripped everything down in the living room ready to start running the speaker cable through the cavity wall and ceiling but need to decide where I am cutting the holes :confused:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
From the looks are what you are trying to achieve, it seems as though you are wishing to create a 5.1.4 using a pair Alteco's as front highs/Atmos and a pair of CI as rear Atmos. If this is the case, ideally the ones over your ears to the rear wall are closest to the Dolby Atmos Standard as the middle are close to the Atmos 5.1.2 option and front in ceiling are where you would place in ceiling speakers for a 5.1.4 option.

As you are aware, none of the speakers are ideally and the room will be a comprise because of some of the speakers locations, so its a case of making do with what you have in order to create the best solution your room will give you.

If you could locate the rear in-ceiling speakers between the middle and rear set, that would be my suggestion, but you know what's hidden in within the ceiling which is why I guess you have placed them in their relevant locations. I also wonder whether a 5.1.2 might be the best solution in that room due to you being able to locate them almost where you need them to be

MacReady

From the looks are what you are trying to achieve, it seems as though you are wishing to create a 5.1.4 using a pair Alteco's as front highs/Atmos and a pair of CI as rear Atmos. If this is the case, ideally the ones over your ears to the rear wall are closest to the Dolby Atmos Standard as the middle are close to the Atmos 5.1.2 option and front in ceiling are where you would place in ceiling speakers for a 5.1.4 option.

As you are aware, none of the speakers are ideally and the room will be a comprise because of some of the speakers locations, so its a case of making do with what you have in order to create the best solution your room will give you.

If you could locate the rear in-ceiling speakers between the middle and rear set, that would be my suggestion, but you know what's hidden in within the ceiling which is why I guess you have placed them in their relevant locations. I also wonder whether a 5.1.2 might be the best solution in that room due to you being able to locate them almost where you need them to be
Hiya Shane, thanks so much for the reply, really appreciate the help and info on this.

You are spot on in that I am trying to create a 5.1.4 set up with the Alteco's as front height and the Phantom's as Top Rear. Due to the joists in the ceiling I am restricted to the positions on my drawing so, if I am understand correctly, I am better putting the Phantoms in the furthest back position, near the rear wall and then, according to the Dolby guidelines, setting them as Top Middle on my SR7012 as they will be pretty much directly above the MLP (obviously the diagram below has Top Front as well, but my set up won't include those)

5DB6014C-005D-4E2E-9B9F-CFA3BE7DE5A4.jpeg

The room is definitely far from ideal though and, as you say, it's never going to be a perfect set up unfortunately...but I just want to try and get it the best I can if possible.

Thanks again for your help.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I've taken your images based on a 5.1.4 solution and coloured the speakers in blue which you should be using for Atmos. As I did mention, the room isn't ideal, but its the simplest solution for you to create Atmos without doing a lot more work on the room. Hope that helps
macReady-1.jpg
macReady-2.jpg

MacReady

I've taken your images based on a 5.1.4 solution and coloured the speakers in blue which you should be using for Atmos. As I did mention, the room isn't ideal, but its the simplest solution for you to create Atmos without doing a lot more work on the room. Hope that helps
Once again, thanks so much for your help with this Shane.

I have did all the speaker cable runs over the last couple of days but, due to floor joists, and water pipes, the positioning of the top ceiling speakers are not exactly as I would have liked. They are about the same distance from the back wall as in the image you have edited above but they are pretty in line with the front L/R speakers and front height speakers now rather than being set slightly in from them.

The good thing is the Phantoms are directional and the MPL is the left hand seat of the sofa as it lines up dead centre with the screen.....and all the speakers other than the surround left are now in pretty good and symmetric locations for that MLP. The drawing I did above is actually pretty off with scale and the position of the AV unit and TV...in reality the TV lines up directly with the left hand seat of the sofa.

Got to wait for the plasterer on Monday now to come and fill in the (many!) holes, let that dry then start decorating....then I get to do the fun part of putting all the kit together and calibrating it as best I can.

Again though, thanks for your help and advice on this one. Really appreciate it.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom