Question Advice on ceiling projector

simpsod1

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all
Looking on advice for a couple of points for a ceiling projector in out lounge.

1. Recommendations for one than can project onto a 120" screen from around 90" away ( light fitting on celings prevent anything further)

2. I've already sussed that I can run power from the bedroom above, but in order to run a hdmi from our av receiver I am thinking that chasing the wall and ceiling is the only option?? We would mainly use the projector to play stuff off a firestick and maybe via a USB stick....but I'd like the hdmi as a option for sky q

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Try D-line trunking, it comes in various sizes and can be painted.

Try D-line trunking, it comes in various sizes and can be painted.

Cheers....want to avoid it into be honest as the projector will be in the centre of the room and the wall is a feature one

Hi all
Looking on advice for a couple of points for a ceiling projector in out lounge.

1. Recommendations for one than can project onto a 120" screen from around 90" away ( light fitting on celings prevent anything further)

2. I've already sussed that I can run power from the bedroom above, but in order to run a hdmi from our av receiver I am thinking that chasing the wall and ceiling is the only option?? We would mainly use the projector to play stuff off a firestick and maybe via a USB stick....but I'd like the hdmi as a option for sky q

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Dave

Projectors are dark room devices and don't work well with ambient light. So I assume you'll watch with light off (?).

120" from 90"/7.2' (lens to screen) means a throw ratio of 1.15x. Not that many projectors have this kind of throw ratio.
This calculator shows the position of the projector relative to the screen:

However a screen size should not be chosen until the projector has been used a while on a wall. It's partially related to seating distance.

What is the seating distance?

4K or 1080p?

Color of walls?

Gaming?

Projectors are dark room devices and don't work well with ambient light. So I assume you'll watch with light off (?).

120" from 90"/7.2' (lens to screen) means a throw ratio of 1.15x. Not that many projectors have this kind of throw ratio.
This calculator shows the position of the projector relative to the screen:

However a screen size should not be chosen until the projector has been used a while on a wall. It's partially related to seating distance.

What is the seating distance?

4K or 1080p?

Color of walls?

Gaming?

Cheers noob0101

The size size was pretty much dictated by the bay window size.

Happy with 1080p as I can set sky q to that and other content will be via firestick.

Seating distance will be about 4m away.

Walls are cream and yes will be used with lights off

No gaming

I already have the screen and a £200 Amazon projector which we place on a table...I'd like a ceiling mounted projector to save the fuss.

Budget £1000-£1500

Cheers

Dave

Cheers noob0101

The size size was pretty much dictated by the bay window size.

Happy with 1080p as I can set sky q to that and other content will be via firestick.

Seating distance will be about 4m away.

Walls are cream and yes will be used with lights off

No gaming

I already have the screen and a £200 Amazon projector which we place on a table...I'd like a ceiling mounted projector to save the fuss.

Budget £1000-£1500

Cheers

Dave

The Benq W2700 (HT3550) in the US should fit the bill then.

Or Benq W1110/1120/W2000/W2000+/W1090 for 1080p. There might be others with this throw ratio.

But measure the distance exactly since you would placing it close to it's throw ratio.
Calculate from projector lens to screen.

I would look at increasing the distance back, you could look at projector mounts that means tha projector is just above head height. Look at peerless range you can have custom pole which is threaded to connect to bracket at each end then you can pass power and hdmi lead though pole. Then perhaps amend your Light fitting to not obstruct projector lens to screen.

Remember to take time to get projector central or screen central. As budget you are looking at probably won’t have lens shift.

Kevin

Hi again @noob0101
I've been looking and reading and the Optoma HD29HST seems to fit my requirements.
One slight reservation is that it doesn't seem to support playback of media via USB....do any of the benqs support this?
Cheers in advance
Dave

Hi again @noob0101
I've been looking and reading and the Optoma HD29HST seems to fit my requirements.
One slight reservation is that it doesn't seem to support playback of media via USB....do any of the benqs support this?
Cheers in advance
Dave

Not sure about the media support via USB. Check the manual.

That Optoma is not a RGBRGB color wheel projector. These are corporte hybrids for sports and such, that sacrifice color and blacks for brightness.
The HD29HST is a gaming projector.

Delayed update.
Bought the HD29HST....got it for £700 with a discount code.
Set up easy and very impressed with the PQ.

Hi, I have an Optoma GT5000 and am happy with it, but I'm pushing it to its limits with a 120" screen and the image is a little distorted - I think due to UST limitations.
I also find the fan a bit noisy .
I don't play games, it's just for home cinema. The HD29HST sounds like a step up based on specs, but I don't understand the RGBRGB reference above - does this mean it would have an inferior picture to the GT5000 despite higher brightness & contrast?

PS: Where did you mange to get the HD29HST for £700? Are you still happy with it?

Thanks

super delayed reply
Got it from Very with a new custumer discount code
Still very happy with it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom