1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on cd players please

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by stumck219, Nov 6, 2004.

1. stumck219

stumck219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have an av setup consisting of a yamaha 2400 receiver
    a hk dvd player and M&k speakers.
    I am very pleased with this for films
    But musically it is not the best.
    Will adding a dedicated cd player improve the musical performance
    or are there any other options. Any advice would be gretly appreciated.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Stumck,

You could certainly add a dedicated CD player and improve things for music.
    However, the weak point would then become your AV amp. The audio stages are generally not the best unless you spend lots of money.
    What I would certainly consider in your position, depending on your budget of course, is a second hand external DAC and a stereo power amp.

You already have a good 'Transport' for CD's. It's weak point is it's internal Dac's. Add an external dac and you will undoubtedly improve the musicality of your player. You also add more digital flexibility to your system. Run a search on this forum for DAC and read the 'Sticky' at the top of this forum for more information.
    By adding a power amp to your system via the av amps pre outs you will only be using the av amp as a pre amp for your front speakers. You would again get a musical improvement by doing this.
    Of course it all comes down to budget.
    HTH

3. stumck219

stumck219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi knightshade

Thanks for the reply. I have read the thread on DAC's and it is very interesting. You are correct it does come down to budget
    I don't really want to spend anymore than £500.
    Do you think this would be best spent on a dedicated cd player

Or would it be possible to get a good second hand dac and power amp as per your recomendation for this kind of money If not how much would i need to spend.

Advice and recomendations greatly appreciated.

4. prowla

prowla
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Depends upon your budget.
    Naim make very nice CD players.
    A 7 year old CD3.5 can be had for around £450.

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Stumck,
    There is a MUSICAL FIDELITY- A3.24 DAC on this site under the classifieds. http://www.audiophilecandy.com/home.asp
    You could also keep an eye open for TAG DAC 20.
    It's up for £450 You should get it for £400. It may be a better option than buying a CDP. There are also some good buy's for power amps on that site. I think you may be hard pressed to do it all for the budget of £500. You'll need a Digital cable of some sort to connect the DAC and an audio interconnect for the power amp.
    Still, upgrading to an external DAC would certainly be good long term investment. You could always add the power amp at a later date.
    What i've found with CD/DVD players up to about the £1200 mark is with a good external DAC they sound better than when used with the built in DAC's. However a reasonable quality £100 DVD player (used with the same DAC) is easily equal and in some cases even better than the £1200 CDP + DAC. This is of course only my opinion.

6. stumck219

stumck219

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the link Knightshade.
    I am going to borrow a friends arcam cd player to see how that sounds.
    If that is an improvement i will probably buy a cd player.
    If not i may well go down the dac route and the musical fidelity dac looks like a good bet.