• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Advice on CCTV options

sherbert79

Evening All

Looking for a bit of guidance if you may?

So I moved in to a new build last year but was able to get access before the internals were sheeted to run Cat6 to a few locations, I ran two cables to the eaves (one front garden and one overlooking the driveway) and my intention was to fit two hikvision dome style cameras and feed them back to a DVR in my location of choice. However over the last few weeks I have been reading up on the Nest aware cloud based package and I’m intrigued as to whether that’s a positive move instead of the hikvision? I want a system with minimal fuss and the ability to access from phone without two much hardware going in to the data cabinet as it’s already jam packed, ideally 2 or 3 cameras with the ability to PTZ, am I mad at even looking at going WiFi instead of POE?

Thoughts welcome

Scott

N3ptun3m00n

The issue is the nest aren't POE and have a monthly subscription to work fully...

Having said that the new nest outdoor cams are very good. You will just have to power with the supplied power cable.

WiFi wise the newer models are 802.11ac which gives them more bandwidth than the previous models .Which is a big help TBF.

sherbert79

The issue is the nest aren't POE and have a monthly subscription to work fully...

Having said that the new nest outdoor cams are very good. You will just have to power with the supplied power cable.

WiFi wise the newer models are 802.11ac which gives them more bandwidth than the previous models .Which is a big help TBF.

Yeah the nest are powered off a standard socket and uses WiFi, I think I’m swaying towards them because it’s cloud based and does away with the need for any additional hardware, saying that, I have a Poe switch controlling my network so I may be making the wrong move going WiFi

As with everything in life it’s hard to make an educated decision on what to do, does anyone have any recommendations for a hikvision dome that’s controlled via phone and a decent NVR?

One question I have about NVR’s, can you access the footage from a phone and also live view or do you need a pc connected?

R-CAD

If you go the HikVision route then live and recorded streams can be accessed via Hik Connect App.

3rd Part apps can also be used, but take a little more time to configure for remote access.

As a suggestion, a DS-7608NI-K2/8P is a reasonable NVR, with some headroom to expand your install later. DS-2CD2155FWD-I(S) for a dome camera and DS-2CD2T55FWD-I5 for a bullet.

Domes have their place, under a porch maybe, but I've found the bullets to be less effected by rain.

The camera suggestions are "middle-of-the-road", go higher or lower resolution as budget allows. They are not PTZ however, are you planning on doing a lot of live viewing? If you will mostly be reviewing recorded footage then PTZ is not good value.

The Nest camera zoom and tracking is a digital zoom and pan, you'd be able to do the same thing, manually, within the App on both recorded and live footage, Although you need to go up to the 6 or 8MP cameras to get the same clarity when zoomed in (as the latest Nest Camera offers)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom