1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on camcorder purchase

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by stevenj, Jun 6, 2005.

1. stevenj

stevenj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm looking to purchase a mini-DV camcorder in the near future, and am pretty much confused with the choice!

I'd like one that's got pretty good image quality and a good ability to film in low light (night time and parties, that sort of atmosphere). I think progressive scan is out of hte budget really, and I also want a pretty compact one too. I'd be greatful if anyone could recommend a unit?

So far, I've been looking at Sony DCR-PC55, DCR-PC1000 and DCR-PC350 as well as some Panasonics and one or two JVC/Hitachi.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Steven

2. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Don't buy a Canon !

3. Neilpeel

Neilpeel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Without wishing to sound like an advert for Panasonic, I've just purchased an NV-GS140 for £600 and it is utterly brilliant! 3CCD,Leica Dicomar lens, stunning picture quality, DV out (the NV-GS150 also has DV in) more functions than I know what to do with, (yet) and 2.3mp stills to SD card.
    I'm like a kid with new toy at Christmas.
    I'd highly recommend
    Neil :thumbsup:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    A bit of advise, but no specific models I'm afraid as I've not been looking at the camcorders available for a while now.

If you want to record in low light conditions then don't go for the smallest cams around. The smaller the lens, the less light can get in. Bigger cams will generally have a bigger lens. DV cams are not particually good in low light conditions, so they will need all the help they can get.
    Get a single CCD, as a 3 CCD cam will be worse in low light as the light received is split 3 ways for the 3 CCD's.
    Although no direct experience of them, the Panasonics tend to be good for the money. As already advised steer clear of the consumer Canon cams as they are well known for picking up camera noise through their mic. Some models are also known for poor reliability.

Mark.

5. Mark Spanner

Mark Spanner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for that gem of wisdom.
    If you are going to make a sweeping statement like that please have the decency to justify it.

So why shouldn't we touch Canon with a barge pole?

6. 209AZ

209AZ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well Ok.

Type "Canon Remove Cassette" into Google and read the results.
    Do a search on this very board about the people with Canon camcorder problems.

If you do a little research,you will find that of all the camcorder brands,there are more disgruntled Canon owners than anyone else.

My own Canon developed the above fault within 8 hours of use.

These are not just isolated faults and there are just too many being reprorted to be ignored.Also keep in mind that there probably are many people that don't surf the net and so their fault won't get reported.

So there you are,If YOU can be bothered to spend a few hours reading Google results,then you will probably agree that my statement was not "Sweeping" at all,unless that is ,you have some reason to defend Canon !

And before you say "I have owned Canon products for years and had no problems" then yes so have I,but My first Canon camcorder will certainly be my last until Canon change their attitude.

7. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I own a JVC GRD93 which I feel is / was excellent VFM. I'd have liked to have gone for the Panni GS120 but it was above my budget.

I felt after much research that the JVC gave the best quality / vfm overall. Several magazines agreed with my view although this was last year and things may have changed slightly.

8. meles

meles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Sony PC350 is terrible in low light, as are the HC85, TRV80 and PC109. I don't wish to make any 'sweeping statements', but I would certainly ask to check out any new Sony in a dark backroom before buying one. The old ones were much better. This is not to say that the other manufacturers are any better, but I have no experience of them.

9. rickscript

rickscript

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree TOTALLY with 209AZ. Canon has some serious tape transport problems with many cameras in their product line. I myself have had the misfortune of owning 2 Elura 2MC's both of which developed the "Remove Cassette" problem. If you don't know what this is, then just do a simple google search typing in "Canon Remove cassette" and take a journey down misery lane with many other owners. My cameras are several years old but this is still plaguing the current models including the Elura, ZR, Optura and even the highly priced GL models. Yes, there are other manufacturers who have their issue too, but this one seems to be the worst of them all. The defect is bad enough, but what is truly apalling is Canon's complete denial of a problem and refusal to make any accomodations to consumers who have spent from $500.00 to well over $2,000.00 for a piece of equipment that fails, sometimes within less than 5 hours of use. Even when they do gouge an owner for an expensive repair, the problem often comes back. I have started a website that is tracking how large a problem this is and have a guestbook for owners to sign if they have had this problem. If the current trend continues, I will have a large enough group of affected owners to warrant a class-action lawsuit against Canon. If anyone here at this forum would like to add their name to the growing list, my website is at:

http://mysite.verizon.net/resohb20

It is also entitled Canon Remove cassette action