Question Advice on cabling etc for a refit

rufus357

Established Member
Reaction score
I am slightly ashamed to post my modest AV plans given some of the amazing installs here :(...

We are in the middle of an extension and refit with walls coming done all over and need to start planning AV cabling etc. I have a few Q's I am hoping for advice on, the general ethos is on the AV is good value for money, better than average consumer quality but not high end stuff.

- For the TV locations do I just run 1 Coax and 1 Ethernet?
(Sitting room TV linked to BT Youview, the others will prob just be freeview)

- Can anyone recommend some basic VFM cables that are not low quality?

- For music purposes, I was thinking:
- Kitchen small stand alone system eg Denon m39
- Sitting & Sun Rooms where I want better quality music, AV amps with 5.1 with good quality front speakers for stereo listening. I know from experience that I am happy with a decent AV amp playing music.

Any better ways of doing this??

All input welcome. Thanks

Simplified Plan.jpg

I would run Coax and at least 2 x Cat6 cables for each Room whilst you have the chance.

Can anyone recommend which cables to get please. Looking for good value for money on the 80/20 quality/cost basis.

Cat 6Multi Cables CAT6 300M - 24 AWG Solid UTP Ethernet Network Cable - With Crimp Tool - 550 Mhz Gray 300 Meter: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Speaker cable 79 Strand Twin Fig 8 Speaker Cable

Coax for digital freeview Webro 100m Digital Coax Cable - Black: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Opitical for freeview return to amp from tv KabelDirekt 10m Optical Toslink Digital - Cable: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Hdmi?? Need 10 or 12 metre

Ir receiver extension cable 10m to work with keene ??

Cable for sub??

All advice and comments welcome. Thanks, Al

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
That network cable is CCA (Copper Clad Aluminium) and is not proper CAT6 at all it should not be sold as such and is the source of a lot of problems. Avoid like the plague!

There are plenty of vendors that sell proper CAT cable and I would recommend terminating in wall sockets and then buying pre-made patch leads as its a lot neater.

Speaker cable looks ok as a basic though sure I have seen that cheaper. I like the Van Damme cable but its a bit more pricey.

Coax looks ok.

HDMI at 10m can be tricky though personally I have some 15m ones that work fine at 1080p and 3D from CPC and were under £30 from memory.

IR extender from Keene, buy the 3.5mm to RJ45 adaptors they do and then just use one of the spare network cables you plumbed in :)

Anybody that sells a gold plated optical cable has got to be taking the Michael ...

Buy from one supplier and get it all together from one place. I have used CPC, others Cable Monkey.

As Seb says run at least one coax and 2 x CAT cables. More if you want to use IR separate from something like a HDBaseT Matrix

Thanks Chuck - thats really helpful :)

Meant to ask for a recommendation for a 4 way digital freeview amplifier/splitter? will go in loft underneather aerial.
Thanks

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom