advice on buying widescreen

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by ruxton28, Jan 2, 2002.

1. ruxton28

ruxton28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I originally posted this in an incorrect catagory so apologies to those who have read this before and thanks to those who answered
    At present I have my Toshiba SD210E stand alone DVD player connected via phono leads to my HIFI for audio and my 21" Nicam TV via RGB scart socket for picture.
    I now want to buy a 28" nicam widescreen TV to replace my aging TV (resonably quickly before the sales end!)
    I dont want to pay silly money but would want the option to add a digital sound amp and speakers in the future.
    In case I go for the amp/speakers in the future do I need a TV that has component video output and does that replace the scart or suppliment it?
    Can you guys suggest a good set for up to £500
    what are your views on 50 or 100 Hz TVs?
    what are your views on flat screen v conventional?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    I read and replied in the incorrect category but am pleased that the question has subtly changed.

Only Toshiba of the reasonably priced TV manufacturers produce a set with component video inputs and these are ideal for those like yourself with a Tosh SD210 DVD player as this is the connection of choice.

The component connectors are in addition to the scart connectors.

Most of agree that flat screen is better than conventional as there are less reflections but we do not agree amongst ourselves as to whether 100Hz is better than 50Hz.

My preferred TV in your price range is the JVC 28AV WFT1 which is a 50Hz Nicam TV which Home Entertainment Magazine said had a picture as good as a 100Hz but without the annoying side effects.

I have the 32" version and am very pleased with it.

3. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    With your DVD player you would want component INPUTS on the TV, but I don't think that you will get them in your price range:( There is no reason that I can think of that you would ever need component OUTPUTS on a TV.

As for which TV to go for I personaly would take a walk round your nearest retail park (Currys, Dixons, Powerhouse ect.) and see what you like, before buying from a specilist dealer. Bear in mind when looking round that these places that they rarely set the TV's up properly and will use one arrial to feed them all. When you go to a dealer take along a DVD and test your shortlist of sets properly.

Good luck

4. ruxton28

ruxton28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your advice. do you have the website of Home Entertainment Magazine ? The JVC 28AV WFT1 looks good and I will go and see it at costco where it is about £458 as I am a member. is it no big deal not too have component video inputs on thr TV then if I just was to connect via a fully wired scart in the RGB socket? What sort of price / model would I need to go to, to get the component video inputs? Would this TV give me a good upgrade option in the future if I was to go for an digital decoder amp/speaker set up?

5. Spencem

Spencem

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    AFAIK the only main stream TVs with component inputs are made by Toshiba, take a look at their web site www.toshiba.co.uk to get some model numbers and then search the web for them to get some prices, I think you are looking at around £550 + for a 28".

The TV you have is irelivant when it comes to connecting up an amp and speakers. All of the sound sources (DVD player, SKY, VCR, CD, etc) wire straight to the amp, not via the TV. The only exception to this is the sound from normal terestrial TV, to get this out of your new speakers you need to run two phono leads from the TV to the amp. This is not a problem as every TV now has the output required, and most have had for the last 15 years.

Happy Shopping, be carefull, when the home cinema bug bites it can get expensive :D

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    The website you are looking for is http://www.home-entertainment.co.uk/ and the review should be online by now.

Component inputs on a TV are very useful if you have a DVD player with component outputs as you do but it is not the be all and end all.

You could connect up your Tosh DVD player to any other TV using the RGB scart.

I like the JVC 50Hz range (not the 100Hz range which are not as good) as it gives you an exceptional picture without all of the bells and whistles that can add hundreds to the price.

Check it out for yourself as I don't think that there have been any negative posts about the range on this forum.

If you upgrade to Dolby Digital all you will need the TV for is a monitor.

Regards

Ian

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not necessarily so. The increasingly popular method of connecting everything to the tv and then a single connection to the amp allowing the audio to pass through the tv to the amp cannot be achieved on all televisions. I believe the JVC or Sony has problems with this method (can't recall which).

Depends. If you have more than one source which uses RGB and the tv only has one RGB scart socket, then the component video comes in real handy as you can use that for the dvd leaving the rgb scart free for the digibox or whatever.

I assume you do have a digital tv source? Without one, only the dvd will take advantage of the widescreen set to its full potential. There are no anamorphic widescreen transmissions on analogue tv.

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,905
    David,

Haven't seen you around for a while so Happy New Year

It's my JVC WFT1 that sounds awful with the phono outputs from the TV back to the amp.

Ian

9. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Ian for clarifying which.

I wasn't able to get online much over christmas. I had a fair bit of catching up to do.

10. ruxton28

ruxton28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well Ian Ive done it. I just bought a JVC AV28WFT1EK from costco. Thanks to all for your help. Im off to set it up
    regards
    Ged