1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on buying new tv

Discussion in 'TVs' started by arhydynos, Sep 18, 2005.

1. arhydynos

arhydynos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:
    I'm about to upgrade my old 21" tv and am undecided what type to go for.lcds look great but are they on a par with crts yet? do i need a hd ready tv or would it be better to wait until it becomes more available? i've had my eye on the tosh 32zp48 but this is not hd ready or should i go for something like the Panasonic TX32LXD500? I know i'm probably asking how long is a piece of string but any advice would be much appreciated my head is spinning from the choice.. :confused:

2. cooleo_no1

cooleo_no1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think CRT is still the best deal at the moment. You get the best picture for the least price... not hard eh?

But then, it's not as simple as that. HD-DVDs come out next year, along with Blu-Ray. Also, Sky HD comes out, which is a High-Definition service from Sky, meaning that prime-time programs on Sky will be in HD, along with maybe a movie or two.

So you've gotta ask yourself a question. Do I want HD next year?

If you're not too bothered like me, judging that I don't want to pay for Sky and don't watch many DVDs, then I'd suggest sticking to CRT for a few years (3?) until LCDs are reasonably priced and quality picture.

If you want to pay a lot for Sky HD, HD-DVDs/Blu-Ray and also want a game console to perform at it's max then get an LCD or Plasma. Bear in mind with Plasmas though, things get burnt in. Like logo's on TV channels - particularily Sky channels (which have a lot of logos) and also still images left on the screen. Game's might also get burnt into the screen, here's an exaggerated version I did a few months back:
    [​IMG]

That's a pretty quick wrap-up for the moment. My opinion at the moment, for those that don't want Sky HD is to get a CRT then replace it in 3-4 years. It really isn't a revolution in TV, it looks great, sure, but I think the TV you get is not worth it for the price.

Just give us a good CRT capable of 1080i and I'm there!

EDIT: Oh, and the Toshiba 32ZP48 looks a great set, I might get one myself, just need to know where I can see one.

3. arhydynos

arhydynos
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0