Advice on buying new set up

Brascoe40

Novice Member
I know this probably gets asked God knows how many times a week, but been out of the home cinema stuff for ages and don't know what's good and what's not anymore. But I'm looking to buy a whole new system again. So I've been looking at the Polk signature range
S55
S20
S30
With a svs pb1000 pro

I haven't decided on a receiver yet but is this a good setup to go with and open to suggestions and looking at around £2000 with out the receiver.

I used to own the kef iq range
Iq7
Iq6c
Iq3 I think they were
2x bk monolith
And the receiver was an onkyo 606

I probably watch 60 -70 percent movies and 30 to 40 percent music. I love my bass and mainly music wise listen to melantronic but also like abit of everything. Room size wise at the moment is roughly 12 sq but will bo moving into something a little bigger. Also like to add my mid range hearing tones are the best been like that since birth basically if that helps

So any recommendations will be much appreciated

Last edited:

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
As you are used to the Kef sound, why not look at the Q-Series over the Polk. This will be a little familiar in the sound reproduction although many evolution steps have taken place bringing the quality bang up to date

Ideally you'd want to look at the Q750 for the fronts, but the Q550 are at such a good price they are hard to ignore especially seen as you are looking at pairing them with an SVS woofer.

The Q550 are very sweet for music and if you run the av receiver to run the woofer when playing two channel, that should be more bass than you'll ever need with the added benefit of that outstanding clarity which come as standard with the Q550's

As for cinema, you will also hear all the shattering glass and finer detail of explosions which can get lost in translation sometimes when a speaker produces two much depth masking those areas. The other side is the Kef Q250c centre channel which will be a big improvement over the Polk one for vocals and then the Q150 taking control of the rears

As for an av receiver, what are your requirements and which electronics will it have to work with. Just out of curiosity, what room size do you have as this could have a bearing on the speakers :)

Brascoe40

Novice Member
As you are used to the Kef sound, why not look at the Q-Series over the Polk. This will be a little familiar in the sound reproduction although many evolution steps have taken place bringing the quality bang up to date

Ideally you'd want to look at the Q750 for the fronts, but the Q550 are at such a good price they are hard to ignore especially seen as you are looking at pairing them with an SVS woofer.

The Q550 are very sweet for music and if you run the av receiver to run the woofer when playing two channel, that should be more bass than you'll ever need with the added benefit of that outstanding clarity which come as standard with the Q550's

As for cinema, you will also hear all the shattering glass and finer detail of explosions which can get lost in translation sometimes when a speaker produces two much depth masking those areas. The other side is the Kef Q250c centre channel which will be a big improvement over the Polk one for vocals and then the Q150 taking control of the rears

As for an av receiver, what are your requirements and which electronics will it have to work with. Just out of curiosity, what room size do you have as this could have a bearing on the speakers :)
Was thinking about kefs only reason I was looking at polk one they look good and secondly just thought I would try something different heard good and bad about them. My room is roughly 12 meters sq2 square shaped 8ft high ceilings roughly, with a little recess in the corner.

Will check your recommendations out also, what about b and w and Dali oberion.

Have you heard these before ?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
@Brascoe40 i see that they are very popular in States and prefered over many other big brands in direct comparisons so if you want Polks then proceed. There is more talk about them on AVSForum and Reddit as you probably know. What i find important is the Polk S30 center channel has gain lot of praise, it will be one of the most active speaker in your system with movies. AVO seems to have all but the S30 in stock assuming you are considering black finish. Only thing left would be to push @ShanePJ make you a good deal with av-receiver that fits in your budget. ;) I would say Denon X3700H is very hard to beat for what it offers (extra channels/processing for 7.2.4, preouts for poweramp, better room correction with dual sub eq etc.), but if that`s too much then X2700H / Yamaha RX-V6A are solid choices.

Brascoe40

Novice Member
@Brascoe40 i see that they are very popular in States and prefered over many other big brands in direct comparisons so if you want Polks then proceed. There is more talk about them on AVSForum and Reddit as you probably know. What i find important is the Polk S30 center channel has gain lot of praise, it will be one of the most active speaker in your system with movies. AVO seems to have all but the S30 in stock assuming you are considering black finish. Only thing left would be to push @ShanePJ make you a good deal with av-receiver that fits in your budget. ;) I would say Denon X3700H is very hard to beat for what it offers (extra channels/processing for 7.2.4, preouts for poweramp, better room correction with dual sub eq etc.), but if that`s too much then X2700H / Yamaha RX-V6A are solid choices.

Thank you I'll have a look didn't realise he worked for them 😂😂

Plus I just found the wharfedale evos aswell, I like the style of both and the both have good reviews. Have you heard the evos ?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED First Thoughts + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 Review, TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom