Question Advice on buying JVC HD100

simion1989

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm buying my first projector on Sunday so am very new to all of this. It's a JVC HD100 and I'm picking it up for £450. Any advice on what to look out for when I see it?

I had a JVC HD1 until recently rather than a HD100, but that sounds like a good deal (there was one on eBay recently, in Surrey, don't know if it was that one).

• Firstly, check for any flashing lights on the top of the PJ - there should just be a steady green light on when PJ is on, which flashes when it is switched off during the cool-down process, then goes red when in standby. Ideally make sure the PJ is switched on when you're there.
  • Check that the lamp is an OEM JVC if that is how it being sold as, as some aftermarket lamps don't last. Obviously check the lamp hours per the Menu/Info button are as described by seller (it's easy to reset them of course, for when you genuinely change the bulb). There is a service menu where I imagine you can check total hours on PJ, but might be rude to check in front of the buyer;) [edit: I meant seller!]
  • Check how bright the picture is generally - JVC's aren't that bright generally, so don't expect to see the picture well unless the room is darkened.
  • Check the convergence by putting on the Grid / test pattern and looking at the lines up close - there are settings to improve the convergence, but they can only correct so far if the convergence is a long way out.
  • Make sure the (manual) lens shift wheels work properly and don't snag - the ones on my HD1 were "loose" to turn (in the opposite direction to the previous shift) until they actually go to the point of shifting the image, and then they felt stable and controlled.
  • Similarly, check the zoom and focus rings turn smoothly.
  • Check for obvious signs of abuse - the black finish will probably have light swirls as is typical on gloss finishes, but you don't want to find scratches.
  • If it has been ceiling mounted, check that the feet are supplied (if you're planning to put the projector upright) - they screw on and off (completely) to allow ceiling-mounting.
  • These older JVC models didn't seem to suffer from the pink-banding (optical block) issues that the later HD350 to HD950 models all did, but have a look for just in case - and check the projected image is ok without the "edge-masking setting" set to 0% (this was a solution to hiding the pink-banding on the later models) - the setting is in one of the menu options (cannot remember which one, but you can download the manual from t'internet in meantime).
  • The fan shouldn't be that noisy at all on "Normal" mode - the HD1 makes a low-pitched hum, and per the specs the HD100 was slightly quieter.
If I think of anything else I'll add.

Last edited:
I had a JVC HD1 until recently rather than a HD100, but that sounds like a good deal (there was one on eBay recently, in Surrey, don't know if it was that one).

• Firstly, check for any flashing lights on the top of the PJ - there should just be a steady green light on when PJ is on, which flashes when it is switched off during the cool-down process, then goes red when in standby. Ideally make sure the PJ is switched on when you're there.
  • Check that the lamp is an OEM JVC if that is how it being sold as, as some aftermarket lamps don't last. Obviously check the lamp hours per the Menu/Info button are as described by seller (it's easy to reset them of course, for when you genuinely change the bulb). There is a service menu where I imagine you can check total hours on PJ, but might be rude to check in front of the buyer;)
  • Check how bright the picture is generally - JVC's aren't that bright generally, so don't expect to see the picture well unless the room is darkened.
  • Check the convergence by putting on the Grid / test pattern and looking at the lines up close - there are settings to improve the convergence, but they can only correct so far if the convergence is a long way out.
  • Make sure the (manual) lens shift wheels work properly and don't snag - the ones on my HD1 were "loose" to turn (in the opposite direction to the previous shift) until they actually go to the point of shifting the image, and then they felt stable and controlled.
  • Similarly, check the zoom and focus rings turn smoothly.
  • Check for obvious signs of abuse - the black finish will probably have light swirls as is typical on gloss finishes, but you don't want to find scratches.
  • If it has been ceiling mounted, check that the feet are supplied (if you're planning to put the projector upright) - they screw on and off (completely) to allow ceiling-mounting.
  • These older JVC models didn't seem to suffer from the pink-banding (optical block) issues that the later HD350 to HD950 models all did, but have a look for just in case - and check the projected image is ok without the "edge-masking setting" set to 0% (this was a solution to hiding the pink-banding on the later models) - the setting is in one of the menu options (cannot remember which one, but you can download the manual from t'internet in meantime).
  • The fan shouldn't be that noisy at all on "Normal" mode - the HD1 makes a low-pitched hum, and per the specs the HD100 was slightly quieter.
If I think of anything else I'll add.
Yes that's right it's the one in Surrey. Thank you for this, it's all very useful. The seller seems genuine but it's always good to know what sort of things to look out for!

Appreciate the help!

Yes that's right it's the one in Surrey. Thank you for this, it's all very useful. The seller seems genuine but it's always good to know what sort of things to look out for!

Appreciate the help!
I'm sure he's all good, but he did send me a message offering me a cash price (after the 2nd listing had finished) because I'd asked a question on the original listing, so be aware.

For your info the response to my query "How many hours on the lamp and is it a JVC OEM lamp?" was:

"The lamp is guaranteed for 1000 hours and we have used approx 100 hours it was a JVC lamp replacement it is not advisable to buy cheap imitations."

Sounds good, but I wasn't 100% sure from that answer whether it was OEM or not, so I would ask if he/she can supply a receipt for the lamp if it only has 100 hours on it.

There was also a little mark on the top left-hand corner of the front of the PJ in his eBay listing(s), which I asked about and he said "Carpet fluff".

I am a bit of a cynical bar steward though!

Edit: In all seriousness, I would always prefer to buy off these Forums than eBay, but I hope it's as good as it seems, and I'm not trying to throw a dampener on your purchase, just sharing what I know. HTH

• These older JVC models didn't seem to suffer from the pink-banding (optical block) issues that the later HD350 to HD950 models all did, but have a look for just in case - and check the projected image is ok without the "edge-masking setting" set to 0% (this was a solution to hiding the pink-banding on the later models) - the setting is in one of the menu options (cannot remember which one, but you can download the manual from t'internet in meantime.
To clarify above, you need to set "Mask" (within "Setup" section of Menu) to "Off".

Manual can be downloaded from here.

(assuming you're getting him to demo it to you when collecting, take along a Bluray you're familiar with to watch to see if there is any odd-coloration etc).

Re 'odd colouration' be aware that the colours on the HD100 are quite oversaturated. Don't be put off it the reds seem a bit strong and grass looks a touch 'neon' as this is typical for the HD1/100/350/550 models which didn't have CMS built in. You can always knock the colour control back a few clicks to reduce the effect (not strictly any more accurate, but is a passable improvement if you haven't got an external CMS).

I've just seen what I thought was the same PJ listed on eBay again, unless we were talking about different items....did it turn out not to be any good, Simion?

Ignore above - I was looking at completed listings:facepalm::facepalm:

Edit: hope it is as good as it looked. I was tempted myself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom