1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

advice on buying games from ebay

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by 7 of 9, Jun 22, 2005.

1. 7 of 9

7 of 9
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am new to ebay and have just signed.

can i please ask for some advice so i don't buy stolen copys, taken pictures etc

2. MattDX

MattDX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +255
    Read the auction very carefully and don't be afraid to ask questions.
    If it seems to cheap to be true - it is!
    Be very wary of sellers that claim to have games before the release date.

3. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,890
    Check feedback carefully - not just their rating, but details of what they have bought and sold. The most trustworthy sellers are usually those who bought their game from ebay in the first place.

Look out for sellers based in Thailand and the like, as the majority seem to deal in pirated games. Be especially wary of those who say they will ship the game without box or manual to save postage.

4. SilverDragon

SilverDragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also, check the shipping and if it is not posted, message the seller. Most products on eBay are the true thing and false offers/scams are usually deleted.

5. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    As a personal rule I only buy from someone who has got above 98% rating and has sold a decent amount, at least 3 figure or close

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,399
    Also look out for some of the people who sell games and state that they are sent in a plastic wallet to cheapen the delivery

tris

7. andyAV

andyAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO - If the goods are "new" and way too cheap and come from a seller in the far east it's probably knocked off - you can trawl the sellers feedback to see the negatives and look for comments along the lines of "sold a fake", "it's a copy and doesn't work" etc.

Also beware of UK sellers who state the goods will be posted from the the far east. Some are basically acting as "agents" for the pirated goods sellers jsut so the seller is listed as "in the UK". I also tend to reject any auction where the origin is "UK - will ship from <insert China/Hong Kong/Thailand/Afganistan/Other dubious origin>" as this is just a scam to prevent you using the orgin Uk or origin Europe settings in the advanced search. Again feedback is the crucial thing - genuine sellers will have few or no negatives. Sometimes the odd irrelevant negative creeps in but anyone with more than a one or two complaints about fake goods is almost certainly selling fakes.

8. Rawschach

Rawschach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    read feedback and stick with powersellers. always see what else they are selling (anything dubious?) bear in mind with feedback that some will be from other traders or small minded fools who give negative 'for a laugh'

9. GeorgeShadow

GeorgeShadow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there is always a misconception that only the games on ebay from the east are fakes. The fact is that the sellers from the U.S, and U.K or similar who sell the games at super low prices at large quantity are all fakes. You people should just use your brains~ the U.S sellers are just getting the supplies from the fake games sellers at very cheap prices, and resell them at cheap prices on ebay. No one in this world would throw their money away buy getting all the games at high prices and sell them to you at such a low cost. Just use your brain idiots.

It don't make a difference where the sellers are, as long as the prices are cheap, the sellers are selling fake games. you should especially pay more attention to those U.S sellers, cus they are the biggest cheaters overall

If you want, I have a long list, I have many of those ebay fake games U.S, U.K, Australia (technically all over the world) sellers, some of them are already suspended by ebay. however, many of them stay as I think ebay is letting those ridiculous U.S, U.K and Australia sellers to sell fakes even they know it.

you are always welcomed to get ripped off by them if you are willing to even you know the facts. In my opinion, don't ever buy gba games from ebay. For those who always think U.S sellers are fine, they are just lieing losers :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Really, I have always found the opposite to be true, nearly every game and movie on ebay is a bootleg, having reported some to ebay with 5 days left, never released on dvd items like "The Devils", "When Dinosaurs Ruled the earth", were still sold.

Ebay don't care, as long as they get their cut (unless you are microsoft)

11. GeorgeShadow

GeorgeShadow
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    right, you get the point! ebay is just letting these things to happen, and they don't care even they know the U.S sellers are doing it. so, stop saying only things from fast east are fakes, actually the U.S sellers are selling them the most, just don't buy from ebay unless you love fakes

12. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,231
    no need for that...I think you're more on about the stupid console + 14 game bundle...or just 14 game bundle....obviously take the offer with a pinch of salt then some!

there are genuine offers....just need to see whether they look...genuine. You need to think....new game from abroad. How cheap realistically? £20-£25?

Then there is import sites.....

e.g PSP value pack + game bundle for £180. As opposed to £180 for just value pack for UK launch