• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on buying first NAS

DuckButton

Standard Member
Finally purchasing my first NAS, to stop having to turn my PC on all the time and need some advice from the expertise here. :thumbsup:

Budget
£100 - £150

Kit

An Apple iMac running OS10.6, 2x PC’s one running VISTA, the other XP and a PS3, all connected via Homeplugs.

Usage
It will be primarily used to stream media (Video, music, photo’s) to the PS3, but I’d also like the option to back-up from the Mac and PC’s. The remote access would be nice but not essential.

Choices
At the moment I’m looking at either the Western Digital My Book Live 1TB for about £110, or Western Digital My Book World Edition 1 TB - £130. They seem to do what I need, and the price is good.

Anybody have any advice and experience of streaming to the PS3 with these? is the remote access any good? or can anybody recommend any other NAS.

Really appreciate any help with making a decision :confused:

Cointreauman

Finally purchasing my first NAS, to stop having to turn my PC on all the time and need some advice from the expertise here. :thumbsup:

Budget
£100 - £150

Kit

An Apple iMac running OS10.6, 2x PC’s one running VISTA, the other XP and a PS3, all connected via Homeplugs.

Usage
It will be primarily used to stream media (Video, music, photo’s) to the PS3, but I’d also like the option to back-up from the Mac and PC’s. The remote access would be nice but not essential.

Choices
At the moment I’m looking at either the Western Digital My Book Live 1TB for about £110, or Western Digital My Book World Edition 1 TB - £130. They seem to do what I need, and the price is good.

Anybody have any advice and experience of streaming to the PS3 with these? is the remote access any good? or can anybody recommend any other NAS.

Really appreciate any help with making a decision :confused:

I Have not tested the WD Live and World Book models though some reviews have marked them down as slow. That said most NAS models are slow and the only improvement I got was to move to models running on gigabit connections, assuming that all in the loop ate connected at that line speed (PC/Router/NAS and any intermediate switches).

I have (amongst my collection) a Buffalo Linkstation Live and find it very reliable and really very good for media duties. (My other NAS units are used for the kids stuff and business backup and storage - they are 2 Disk RAID models). The Buffalo units will work with Apple Mac. They also have USB ports for attaching USB HDDs and printers (not Multi function printers).

The High Speed Linkstation has Gigabit connectivity

Buffalo LinkStation Pro 1.0Tb DLNA Certified High Speed MultiMedia Network Storage with BitTorrent: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Within your budget you could go to a 2Tb model (also Gigabit)

Buffalo LinkStation Live 2.0Tb DLNA Certified MultiMedia Network Storage with BitTorrent: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

But do shop around on prices.

I have tried and been disappointed with both Freecom and Iomega NAS models (single drive units) and a friend is in the process of swapping a Seagate model he is unhappy with.

As ever others may have their own preferences and whatever you choose - remember - with single drive units you should look at ensuring that you back up separately. My Iomega drive was a nightmare when the hard drive failed - the cost of recovery was astronomical - so it went to the scrap heap.

C

DuckButton

Standard Member
Cheers really appreciate the advice. :smashin:

The Buffalo LinkStation Live 2.0Tb is looking good at the mo, it does everything I need and a bit more, price is good too.

Anyone know how the Twonky Media Server is at streaming to the PS3, is the file support decent?

Thanks again :thumbsup:

pwood

WD Myworldbook is £99 in PCworld for 1TB unit. There is an App for Apple products to access photos albeit no idea if its any good or not. Tempted to get one myself being in the same boat.

clambypie

Standard Member
Only problem with your budget is that once you buy what ever you've bought, before too long, you'll probably wish you'd spent a bit more, and want to upgrade ;) Trust me!

In saying that, I got along nicely for a long time wth an unslung Linksys NSLU2 and any old external hard-drive you fancy. Cheap cheap too and will probably be able to do a lot more than you need.

JamieBurchell

Standard Member
You can pick up the new DNS-320 from Amazon for £70, then you just need some drives for it. Supports up to 2x2TB drives.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom