Advice on buying first NAS

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by DuckButton, Nov 27, 2010.

1. DuckButton

DuckButton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Finally purchasing my first NAS, to stop having to turn my PC on all the time and need some advice from the expertise here. :thumbsup:

Budget

£100 - £150

Kit
    An Apple iMac running OS10.6, 2x PC’s one running VISTA, the other XP and a PS3, all connected via Homeplugs.

Usage
    It will be primarily used to stream media (Video, music, photo’s) to the PS3, but I’d also like the option to back-up from the Mac and PC’s. The remote access would be nice but not essential.

Choices

At the moment I’m looking at either the Western Digital My Book Live 1TB for about £110, or Western Digital My Book World Edition 1 TB - £130. They seem to do what I need, and the price is good.

Anybody have any advice and experience of these streaming to the PS3? is the remote access any good? or can anybody recommend any other NAS.

Really appreciate any help with making a decision. :confused:

2. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    They both look pretty good, the Live has no way to hook up any other drives though so it's tricky to back up what's on it, plus the remote access is pretty ropey.

The World edition looks much better: it came 4th in this recent PC Advisor group test:
    Group test: what's the best NAS drive?

By the way, AVForums has its own Networking and NAS sub-forum:
    Networking and NAS

3. TylerDurden

TylerDurden

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +622
    At that price point I'd go for either the netgear stora or the netgear readynas duo

4. planthead

planthead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
  5. DuckButton

DuckButton
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it. Yeah realised about the NAS forum later. :facepalm:

Liking the look of Buffalo LinkStation Live 2.0Tb DLNA Certified MultiMedia Network Storage with BitTorrent: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It's got decent storage to keep me going for awhile and you can add an additional drive via usb, the price is good as well.

The Netgear kit sounds good, but worried adding the drives to a decent size will push the price up a bit much for me.

Appreciate the advice, been thinking about getting a NAS for awhile, there's so many out there it's good to get people's views. :thumbsup: