1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on buying Barco projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jason, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Jason

Jason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Hello all. I'm in the market for a Barco CRT projector. I'm currently looking at the Graphics 800. What's a reasonably good price for one of these with around 2000 to 3000 hours, in good condition with no screen burn. What should I look out for when buying and how much better are the Data and Graphics 801's?
    Cheers, Jason

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'll come back with some non biased stuff as soon as I can but at the mo I'm falling asleep at the keyboard zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

3. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Hi Jason,
    I think choice of projector might start with what you intend to feed it.

a) PAL standard DVD (576i)
    b) NTSC standard DVD (480i)

c) NTSC progresive scan DVD (480p - most progressive scan DVD players or de-interlacers, like the iScan's)
    d) PAL progressive scan (576p - a few recent progressive scan players and many de-interlacers)

e) Scaled video (PAL or NTSC source)
    (720p, 864p, 960p, 1080i, etc.)

Do you have any thoughts on a video de-interlacer, scaler or using a home theater pc? A £700 HTPC is about the cheapest way to scaled video, which can look amazing, apparently very close to High-Definition TV, but it requires fiddling and isn't generally wife-friendly.

I think this may guide whether you want a video, data or graphics grade capable projector.

I'm sure once Roland wakes'up, he'll be much more help! I can certainly recommend his advice and quality of service.

regards,
    Rob.

4. Jason

Jason

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Thanks for the reply Rob. Don't have any wife problems, young free and single so was looking to use my PC with the Barco. Are there any specific Graphics cards, DVD-ROM drives or software you would recommend for using with a CRT projector? I have a Pioneer 737 which will progressive scan NTSC material. Which Barco's in the 800 series will take a progressive scan signal via component input? Will this be as good a picture as the PC? I used to have a Seleco HT400 but found focusing on the blue CRT was not as sharp as the red and green. This would create a blue haze on certain scenes, most noticeable on the credits at the end of a movie (white against black). The projector was professionally installed by Owl and was told this was a common problem. Are there any problems like this with the Barco's? I was also using the iscan pro and although this would eliminate line definition it softened the picture somewhat. What processors work well with the Barco's? I know Roland is an encyclopedia of knowledge on the Barco's so I would appreciate some advice from him, but he seems to have been asleep for a while now!
    Cheers, Jason