Advice on buying a projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gary Palmer, Mar 28, 2001.

1. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Slingshot,

My projector is 1000 lumens and I still have to black out the room.

Yeah, you can get a visible image in ambient light conditions but not anywhere near good enough to replace your TV

My room is 3mx5m so it's smaller than yours.. I would advise you to keep the TV

You will enjoy using a projector. Nothing else comes close..

BTW - even Sky digital can look a bit ropey on a big screen - BBC pretty good. Paramount - not so good.... - some of the music channels - HORRIBLE

2. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Well, I'm going to disagree with Gary, which just proves how important it is to get a demo and decide for yourself... [​IMG]

I tried the Sanyo PLV30 (700 lumens, about £3250) on a 6' diagonal manual pulldown screen (£150) in a room with high ambient light conditions (large window at 90 degrees to screen, lunchtime on an overcast day) and found it quite watchable. For a film or important TV (like Buffy or Angel) then I would close the curtains.

Remember, it's not just the lumens of the projector, it's the screen size and gain, too. Nic Rhodes did some calculations a couple of months ago that showed figures for a cinema and direct view TV that might give you an idea. From what I remember, cinema = 12 ft lamberts, direct view TV 36 foot lamberts. If you can get around 30 foot lamberts then you should be OK.

The calculation (taken from the article "What’s the best Screen?" by Gordon on this site) is
    Peak White level measured in Foot Lamberts or ftL = (screen gain) x (projector output in ANSI LUMENS) / Sqft of screen

e.g. gain=1.2, projector=700 lumens, screen = 80"X60"
    => peak white level = 25.2 ftL

Cheers,
    Liam

------------------
    "Do you hear that, Mr. Anderson? That is the sound of inevitability."

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,073
    I'll just point out Liam has the price of projector about £1000 too high. Easy mistake to make.......

I watch Corry and CH4 news with curtains open or closed with my CRT projector. It's watchable to get the drift but I always close windows, turn off the phone, black out the windows and drink, every Friday for Buffy..................................

Temprary Holiday sig!
    "Sometimes, I think of them doing a spell, then I go away and have a spell to myself!"

Gordon

4. slingshot

slingshot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I'm thinking about replacing my 32" widescreen TV with a projector and wondered if anyone out there had any advise.

My rooms 13' X 25', and the TV is on the 13' wall.

I want to know if it's practical to use a prjector (and what sort) for daytime viewing of normal Sky broadcasts, because I don't want a normal CRT and projector.

I have metal blinds on the windows, but even so there is still quite a lot of ambiant light through doors etc.

I was looking at possibly about 3000 pounds for the projector plus 300 for the screen, so if anyone has any suggestions or recommedations.

Cheers

Slingshot

5. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Slingshot,
    Maybe a good quality RPTV might be a good compromise for you? Just my opinion.
    Eric

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got a crt and find that i have to have a blacked out room to watch anything but i guess you could watch it when its not blacked out but i guess its personal pref. as for sky, i find it really good, especially premier widescreen and bbc1/2
    i find that apart from films when watching sky i use my television because as one of the other guys said, blow up some of the channels to 7ft and they look terrrrrrrible!

7. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Vixpy,
    Some of the Sky channels SHOULD be blown up [​IMG]

Eric

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276

Amsterdam? How is the Rock? We are all dying to know, very tempted myself.....

9. Dino

Dino
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    toshibs MT1 is suprisingly good, take a demo
    can be bought for around £2200 inc vat,
    sony vpl-vw10ht if you can stretch a little is a wise choice with true 16x9 screen size
    and 2 fan speeds.
    hope this helps
    regards dino