Advice on buying a camera

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by timcs, Feb 23, 2013.

1. timcs

timcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi
    I am looking to buy a camera (possibly a bridge camera) and my requirements are as follows:

Takes pictures in low light so I would prefer the aperture to be at least f/2.8 to start with
    Takes pictures indoors and outdoors well.
    Has a view finder as well as a screen
    Would like the screen to be able to tilt Would like it to swing and face the front
    At least 20x optical zoom
    and here is the hard part - I don't want to spend anymore than £300 .
    I am not bothered if the Lens is not detachable
    Prefer the zoom to be on a control instead of manually "turning" the lens

So far I have looked at the Panasonic FZ150 , FZ48 , the new FZ200 (too much money for my liking) , Lumix G3
    Nikon D3100
    Sony A37 , NEX F3

My other limitation is that I have a means to spend some money but it can be only used at Amazon and Argos.

Thanks

Tim

2. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Amazon have the Sony HX20V that just about comes in at your spec......

Check it out plus look at the reviews, looks good.

Ice

3. timcs

timcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    icemanonline , this does not appear to have a view finder , but a good find anyway. Stupidly I forgot to mention to record video but only be limited by the available storage in the camera. The cameras that I have/had always were limited by a fixed time of recording video.

4. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Think your going to toil trying to get all your requirements at that price :D

Take a closer look at that Sony and some M43 cameras.

Good luck!!

Icemanonline

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. timcs

timcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Icemanonline

If the price was pushed to £330 would this make a difference and of the cameras I listed, the Panasonic FZ150 appears to cover the needs but I wondered if anyone had any experience of this camera, Amazon set it for 269 as do John Lewis.

Read the reviews at what digital and others sites for what it does yes a good price, however what do you think of the FZ150 ? I was thinking of the FZ48 but it lacked some of the features that the FZ150 offers.

I have been into PCworld and the other models mentioned such as the A37 etc are at clearance. I am not bothered about buying the latest model as I do not intend to keep replacing it. As long as it lasts, I am not a heavy camera user but would like a camera which can handle well in low light as well as day time and indoors.

I could stretch to no more that £330 at a push

6. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Hi,

The Nikon D3100 at Argos is a good deal..........and you can buy a longer lense later.

The Canon 1100D is newer and you attach any lense, and the Nikon can't, but again it's what you feel is good for you.

Also have the Panasonic and Olympus Pen M43 system cameras too some well within your budget but not covering all your requirements, but you will need a lot more cash to accomplish that, and also used deals, even on Amazon.

The Nikon D3100 plus VR lens is about £330 right now and Amazon have the Canon for same amount.

Hope that helps

Ice

7. timcs

timcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks for your input on this and I will look into the cameras you have mentioned. What are you thoughts on the FZ150 ? It does cover most of the requirements that I am after.

8. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    It's a very good camera and the HD video is brilliant (I had the fz45) but the sensor is small. M43 and DSLR give better low light and overall quality. Its still a great bridge camera. :D

Ice

9. timcs

timcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Interesting that you say that , I read on line that the low light in this (FZ150) camera is good. I read this here : Which is the Best Bridge Camera for Low Light 2012-13?

Also found this thread on another camera forum where the user shot some low light shots with the FZ150:
    Cathedral Faces. - Steve's Digicams Forums

10. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,513
    You mention video recording limitations - these are 4Gb (limited by SD card FAT format max file size, note this equates to 12 mins of full 1080P HD) or 29min 59s (seems to be an EU imposed limit). This will be the same for all cameras.

11. icemanonline

icemanonline
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    Yeah........The panny can shot OK in low light but overall the M43 and DSLR will give better low light results with appropriate lens attached than any
    Bridge camera. The Panasonic fz150 is a great bridge camera, but it still is just that, a Bridge camera!!

Ice

12. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,409
    I would go with the FZ150 if you want an all in one camera. The M4/3 cameras are great, but then you've got the added expense of lenses and they may not be as pocketable depending on the lens used. They can be a little harder to operate sometimes depending on the conditions and what you're trying to achieve.
    The FZ range of cameras deliver high quality images in all sorts of conditions while also being fairly compact and very easy to use. They are reliable cameras too, my FZ7 was purchased new in 2006 and is still going strong today.
    For the sub-£300 price range the FZ150 would be top of my list for the requirements you have listed in the first post.

13. timcs

timcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes it is a bridge camera however, I have only even owned compact (not CSC) cameras and I would like to move up from those. I think a DSLR is too much for me to go for not just on price but on what they can do. As a novice I would feel a DSLR be too much to go for and I feel the same with CSC cameras.

Thanks Miss Mandy, I agree on the M4/3 point, I would not want to go to that extent with a camera and as you have said the cost to buy a lens would be a major put off.

Thanks to both Icemanonline and Miss Mandy for you replies both have been very helpful. I think considered the cameras I have used , which in general have been cheap ish compacts, the FZ150 would be a massive leap forward from those. The dearest I have spent on a compact is only around £200 max.

14. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,508
    FWIW - a bridge isn't really moving up as the sensor sizes are stil "teensie" by comparison to M4/3 or APS-C let alone Full Frame DSLR's - and that's why Low Light Performance will be poor in comparison - and then there's AF speed and shutter lag etc.... :)

15. timcs

timcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Sorry Ugg10 - I missed your useful reply. I presume then, when the recording hits that limit it just ends instead of creating a second file to continue?

16. timcs

timcs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Point taken, however I feel for my uses the DSLRs and M4/3 cameras are over kill.

17. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,409
    The size of the sensor is a valid point, but a bridge camera will generally be better than a compact from my experience which is what the OP wants. Obviously its not as good as a DSLR or M4/3, but a bridge camera is definitely going to be the next step up in my opinion.

18. shotokan101

shotokan101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25,508
    Just curious "why" ?

I've had all three and really unless you want an EVF or a mega zoom there's really no difference at all - especially in IQ over a current superzoom compact these days - why would there be ? - oh of course you do get the "benefit" of pretending to be using a DSLR ;) - said in jest of course but the DSLR shape of some larger bridge models can feel more comfortable to some especially when using the viewfinder.

Jim