• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Advice on buying 28" widescreen on a budget!

L

Lisboa67

My Philips 28" 6006 has packed in after two years and I need a replacement. Unfortunately I haven't got much money to spend! Two that have caught my eye so far are:

Philips 6008, £200 from Argos (of all places) - although I'm reluctant to buy what is probably a successor of my previous model, this seems a bargain. In any case, I think that my old telly packed in because it was ex-display/regraded, so it was probably faulty when I bought it.

Panasonic, TX 28PM12 - £280 from Gultronics. Although this is a lot more expensive, it looks like a quality TV for the price.

Anyone got any pointers as to which one I should go for? Or any alternatives? I'm looking for a reliable 28" with a good picture, not bothered whether it has integrated freeview or not, but must have a s-video socket.

Thanks for your help!

Dfour

Prominent Member
What about second hand??

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Lisboa67 said:
My Philips 28" 6006 has packed in after two years and I need a replacement. Unfortunately I haven't got much money to spend! Two that have caught my eye so far are:

Philips 6008, £200 from Argos (of all places) - although I'm reluctant to buy what is probably a successor of my previous model, this seems a bargain. In any case, I think that my old telly packed in because it was ex-display/regraded, so it was probably faulty when I bought it.

Panasonic, TX 28PM12 - £280 from Gultronics. Although this is a lot more expensive, it looks like a quality TV for the price.

Anyone got any pointers as to which one I should go for? Or any alternatives? I'm looking for a reliable 28" with a good picture, not bothered whether it has integrated freeview or not, but must have a s-video socket.

Thanks for your help!

Always give the full model no when asking for help/advice :lesson:
Have you considered getting the set looked at?
A repair (depending on fault) may be considerably cheaper than a new set.
Whether the set was an ex-display model or not has nothing to do with it.

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Lisboa67 said:

Thanks for your help!

Have you considered getting it looked at/repaired?

L

Lisboa67

I will probably look into getting it repaired, but I was under the impression that this might cost a lot, and that it might be better just pay £200 for a new one than (say) £60 for one that might go wrong again a few months later. But it's definitely worth looking into.

DFour, having had a regraded one gone wrong on me already, I'm keener on getting a brand new one with a proper warranty etc. If I thought I could get a reliable second hand one, I would. I've heard though that people are getting rid of perfectly good CRTs to replace them with LCDs and plasmas....is this the case, and if so, what's the best way of getting a good one? ebay?

Sorry JayCee, the models numbers are Panasonic TX28PM12 and Philips 28PW6008

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom