Advice on 'Built to Order' vs standard iMac

daveb975

I placed an order for a new 27" iMac last week, ticking all of the upgrade boxes except increased RAM which I will do myself.

My old Mac has failed so I am left without one, and am tempted to cancel the order and replace it with the standard 27" iMac which will be with me by Thursday instead of 2 more weeks for my built to order machine, and come in £500 cheaper.

The reason that I decided to go for the higher spec one in the first place is that I did the same in 2008 and that machine has lasted for 5 years apart from a few failures in the last couple of months. But would I notice too much of a difference in the real world? My only taxing use will by editing AVCHD 2.0 video clips (the only thing my current Mac will not do). I may play games from time to time, but not massively.

The spec I have gone for includes the 3.4 I7 processor, 3TB Fusion Drive and the uprated graphics card.

If I go for the 3.2 I5 with 1TB HDD and standard graphics, will it last as long? The only thing that really worries me is giving up the Fusion Drive as I had installed an SSD in my 2008 iMac and that made it faster than it ever had been before.

Any thoughts welcome!

Jenz

Why not go to a retail store and get the one they call instore the "ultimate"? It is £2179 retail and si 27inch, i7 3.4Ghz, 1TB Fusion and 680MTX 2GB Graphics. So the same spec as your build to order but 1TB Fusion instead of 3TB.

Personally I bought the one above and am adding far cheaper external storage ;)

daveb975

Jenz said:
Why not go to a retail store and get the one they call instore the "ultimate"? It is £2179 retail and si 27inch, i7 3.4Ghz, 1TB Fusion and 680MTX 2GB Graphics. So the same spec as your build to order but 1TB Fusion instead of 3TB.

Personally I bought the one above and am adding far cheaper external storage ;)

That is a good idea, but I am getting the educational discount and free 3 year warranty which is only available through the online store, hence the spec I have gone for is only £2,020 and the ultimate is £1,920.

I am getting impatient, and am tempted just to go and buy one today, but losing out on the discount would be an expensive price to pay for a week or so of extra use!

So really it is down to basic spec delivered on Thursday for £500 cheaper or wait and pay more for the one I originally wanted.

Is the speed bump really that noticeable, and more importantly, will the higher spec machine last me much longer?

daveb975

Just wait it out! It will be worth it.

You will only regret it.

The logical answer, and the one that I know is correct.

It is strange, as I wouldn't say I am normally that impatient, but since I found out I could get one in two days I have been really tempted.

Typically, last week, both the standard configurations and the built to order ones were 1-2 weeks wait, now it is 24 hours for the standard and 5-7 days for the built to order.

Jenz

That is a good idea, but I am getting the educational discount and free 3 year warranty which is only available through the online store, hence the spec I have gone for is only £2,020 and the ultimate is £1,920.

I am getting impatient, and am tempted just to go and buy one today, but losing out on the discount would be an expensive price to pay for a week or so of extra use!

So really it is down to basic spec delivered on Thursday for £500 cheaper or wait and pay more for the one I originally wanted.

Is the speed bump really that noticeable, and more importantly, will the higher spec machine last me much longer?

Not correct, my Notts Uni Daughter came with me to the Milton Keynes Store and they applied the HE discount for us :D

Yes the higher spec will last you longer. Just keep all docs etc and box and sell when a refresh is done ;)

daveb975

Not correct, my Notts Uni Daughter came with me to the Milton Keynes Store and they applied the HE discount for us :D

Yes the higher spec will last you longer. Just keep all docs etc and box and sell when a refresh is done ;)

Good to know, although I am not sure you get the 3 year AppleCare instore?

I am normally quite a prolific box-swapper when it comes to AV kit, but for some reason not so much with computers. My old iMac has lasted since 2008, I did think about upgrading it before but was put off by the fact that all of them prior to this current one looked almost exactly the same!

I will probably be able to resist another upgrade until they redesign it again which is probably a few years off.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom