Question Advice on building a raspberry pi DAC/streamer

al2813

Established Member
Reaction score
I spent the last weeks extensively reading and getting familiarised with the world of Raspberry pi based network players. I am currently running two setups at home. One based on a NAD C388 hybrid amp in the living room, and one based on an Arcam A28 amp in my bedroom. I stream a lot both rips and Hires files from my NAS and Qobuz from the internet. The only streamer I have now is a Bluesound Node 2 which now is in my bedroom serving as DAC/streamer. I occasionally take the node downstairs but would like now to build a box for the living room. My idea is to buy my components and build a pi based DAC/streamer. My questions:

- Do I go for a streamer only and rely on my NAD's DAC or do I go for a DAC/Streamer (i.e. will this improve the result)? My current gut feeling is to go for the Audiophonics ES90382QM DAC which I think represents a good middle ground for a decent DAC. The Allo Katana costs almost double and I am afraid to make such a big investment at this first attempt. I think this dac setup correctly will do better than the one on the NAD C388.

- I prefer to spend money on components rather than for example a nicer enclosure. An acrylic-based "floor mount stand" looks nice enough for me actually. I would rather spend the money on a decent power supply. and speaking of that - any recommendations (don't want to go crazy here either)?

- Any other components you recommend?

- And finally the subjective question - would this sound better than my Node 2 in DAC mode? I know this is not easy to answer but hey - always happy to get opinions from people who have happened to try both.

I have been playing with different Pi DAC's for 2/3 years now i have the Audiophonics mini kit as Kit1cat has pointed out and i must say it's very good i all so run a Allo boss dac and this is all so very good, but as of 4/5 weeks i have been running a Allo DigiOne feeding a project pre box S2 digital dac/pre-amp and to me this is the best to date (but that's me and my system)
The DigiOne is only transport so you will still need a dac or feed it into your amp.
As for powering my pi and dac i went with a battery bank,the one i have has 3 amp output i think this sounds better than the wall power supply.
For me the cheapest way to go is the Allo Boss dac board or the Audiophonics ES90382QM DAC
The sound is slightly different from one board to the other and for me to say one is better than the other is of no help as this it's all down to the sound you like.

I have been playing with different Pi DAC's for 2/3 years now i have the Audiophonics mini kit as Kit1cat has pointed out and i must say it's very good i all so run a Allo boss dac and this is all so very good, but as of 4/5 weeks i have been running a Allo DigiOne feeding a project pre box S2 digital dac/pre-amp and to me this is the best to date (but that's me and my system)
The DigiOne is only transport so you will still need a dac or feed it into your amp.
As for powering my pi and dac i went with a battery bank,the one i have has 3 amp output i think this sounds better than the wall power supply.
For me the cheapest way to go is the Allo Boss dac board or the Audiophonics ES90382QM DAC
The sound is slightly different from one board to the other and for me to say one is better than the other is of no help as this it's all down to the sound you like.

Thanks for the feedback! this is good. Obviously getting a separate DAC increases the cost significantly, so I think will go that way.
Other feedback (also comparing to something like the Node 2 is appreciated!

worth pointing out as well, im pretty sure the project pre does mqa (like your node 2)

worth pointing out as well, im pretty sure the project pre does mqa (like your node 2)
At the moment MQA support is less of an issue as after going back and forth between Qobuz and Tidal, I ended with Qobuz as my hifi streaming service (also have a Spotify family membership).

At the moment MQA support is less of an issue as after going back and forth between Qobuz and Tidal, I ended with Qobuz as my hifi streaming service (also have a Spotify family membership).
Yeah Spotify needed as a minimum to keep everyone happy!

So did you feel Qobuz sounded better or was there another reason?

What plan did you go for? Looks like studio would be the one for me (I know next to nothing but worth paying the extra to get the best quality I’d of thought)

Last edited:
Yeah Spotify needed as a minimum to keep everyone happy!

So did you feel Qobuz sounded better or was there another reason?

What plan did you go for? Looks like premium would be the one for me (I know next to nothing but worth paying the extra to get the best quality I’d of thought)

It was a long and hard one to decide but Qobuz sounds slightly better on my setups. A bit more detailed and crisp to my (not that trained) ears. I think it’s got to do also with the music you listen to - in my case a lot of acoustic stuff, but also indie rock, jazz, a lot of world and my holy grails - 60-70s music

Sorry forgot to mention - I have a studio subscription. Costs 5 euros extra but you get hires as well.

Have you been on John Darko website / you tube channel. He covers a lot of this and does reviews / showdowns, there’s also a dac league to help compare DACs.

He also reviews the Allo boss which you pair up with a raspberry pi and is currently on amazon so potentially a good one to ponder

Watched all the videos and also Hans Beekhuizen channel. Yes I get more confused by the day :)

You and me both
Basically I debate between separating the digital source and the DAC and getting a combo of both (like the node really). My key worry is if this really makes the difference in MY setup which is not very cheap but not that expensive either.....

Basically I debate between separating the digital source and the DAC and getting a combo of both (like the node really). My key worry is if this really makes the difference in MY setup which is not very cheap but not that expensive either.....
Can you stream Qobuz to the node?

Could you use the node as your streamer / transport and get yourself a new dac then you’d be able to a/b between the new dac and the nodes dac.

Yes the node supports Qobuz. The node is great but want to try something else.....

I use Roon, so I just have to stick a Ropieee image on the PI and job done - instant network endpoint for Roon streaming system (NAS, Tidal, Qobuz, Internet radio)

The guy who created the Ropieee has recently created RopieeeXL which apparently includes streaming software rather than just Roon endpoint. I think the C388 can also act as a Roon endpoint (with network module), so may be worth a look at Roon for whole home multi-zone streaming.

I use Roon, so I just have to stick a Ropieee image on the PI and job done - instant network endpoint for Roon streaming system (NAS, Tidal, Qobuz, Internet radio)

The guy who created the Ropieee has recently created RopieeeXL which apparently includes streaming software rather than just Roon endpoint. I think the C388 can also act as a Roon endpoint (with network module), so may be worth a look at Roon for whole home multi-zone streaming.
So does that mean ropieee XL will include Spotify connect?

I take it you don’t need a raspberry pi 4 for this new ropieee XL?

I changed my mind a bit after lots of reading around (resulting also in budget doubling....). I am now thinking of getting a DAC and using the pi as streamer (adding an Allo Digione). Budget for DAC around 350 EUR - looking at the Project pre box S2 digital as well as some of the SMSL stuff (the new M500 being launched right now looks interesting). An Allo Digione setup can be had for about 150 EUR.

I must say i think the Digione is the way to go and looking at the spec of the SMSL M500 it might have the edge on the Project as the chip is the pro but then the Project has 2 chips running duel mono,one thing i can say the Project works better when powering it with a battery.
please keep us up to date what you end up with & how it works out for you :smashin:

I must say i think the Digione is the way to go and looking at the spec of the SMSL M500 it might have the edge on the Project as the chip is the pro but then the Project has 2 chips running duel mono,one thing i can say the Project works better when powering it with a battery.
please keep us up to date what you end up with & how it works out for you :smashin:
Thx for the feedback! Will probably take a while to purchase all items but will post once done!

I’m in the same boat. My plan is to go in at the bottom end (price wise) and then hoping I will notice differences as I spend more (here’s to hoping!)

Going for a iqaudio dac Pro for ÂŁ44, ultimate aim a mytek Brooklyn dac +

Can recommend the project s2 digital at that price point - its what I use.

Can recommend the project s2 digital at that price point - its what I use.
thanks for this - are you using it with the delivered power supply or have you replaced it?

Using with the included PSU. It is currently plugged into an intel i7 NUC which runs Roon.

I would like to try a linear PSU, but I am not inclined to spend money on one unless it definitely going to produce a worthwhile improvement.

Heres my baby:
20190422_164155.jpg
20190422_164202.jpg
20190422_162932.jpg

Running picoreplayer on pi 3b+, with the hifiberry dac+pro, pi-touch screen, audiophonics pi-spc v2 (for using with power switch) and a flirc for remote control. My logitech media server is running on a synology nas.

Want to upgrade the dac to the hifiberry dac+dsp as you can upload room correction filters.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom