1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on bi-wire cable

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sunlink, Oct 28, 2003.

1. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking to purchase quite large lenghts of a decent quality bi-wire cable that is ideal for both music and home cinema.

Any suggestions?????

Steve:confused:

2. Merritt

Merritt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used 'Silver Anniversary' Bi-Wire for my fronts - seems pretty good but I wouldn't want to run it a long way as its about £10 per metre or there abouts!

Steve

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If there is no issue regarding installation I rekon you just get another run of the same cable you already have.
    In theory you could also just double the diameter (which is what happens if you use another run of the same cable) and get similar if not the same result.

4. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Merrit,

I have been looking at the QED silver anniversary and have found them for £7.70 per/metre plus termination. How are they with both music and Home Cinema?

Steve:confused:

Reiner,

I am looking to upgrade my current cables hence the query. I will use the existing somewhere else in the house. Thanks for the feedback.

Steve;)

5. overfloe

overfloe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi sunlink,
    you might want to have a look at the supra rondo 4x2.5.. good for movie & music.. it's big & fat.. £5/m

6. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I'd recommend the supra rondo 4X2.5T as well. Reviewed well, it's flexible, durable and comes in at about £4.50/m if you shop around. It's a hidden gem as far as I'm concerned. I got mine from www.supradirect.co.uk

All in all, for 20m of the biwire and 30m of the 2 core, it cost me £170.65 shipped (arrived in 2 days). Using Silver Anniversary (front) and Bronze Anniversary (which I had done previously) would have cost me about £250.

To my ears, the supra sounds every bit as good. With the improved acoustics, the whole system sounds great.

Test Eqt (Music):

Rotel RCD971
    Rotel RC1070
    Rotel RB985MKII
    B&W DM602 S2

Test Eqt (AV):

Pioneer DV-737
    Yamaha DSP-E800
    Rotel RC1070
    Rotel RB985MKII
    B&W DM602 S2
    B&W CC6
    B&W DS6

7. Ronak-T

Ronak-T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just seen the Supra Rondo 4x2.5 here for £4.39/metre, and I agree it's an excellent cable.

8. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks SSB and Ronak-T,

I will check it out.

Steve:smashin:

9. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Unless you're convinced that bi-wiring offers an improvement you could save yourself some money by single wiring.
    I changed to bi-wiring on my front speakers and couldn't hear the slightest difference.

10. sunlink

sunlink

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sceptic,

I would expect to hear some perceivable difference as the speakers I have (Tannoy Precision) are supposed to be bi-wired.

Nothing ventured and all that.

Steve:)

11. sceptic

sceptic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I certainly think it's worth listening to the speakers bi-wired before spending much money.
    My Mission speakers are also designed to be bi-wired and I expected there to be an improvement but there wasn't.
    I'm not being negative or contentious here, just relating my personal experience

12. SSB

SSB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    That's the thing with these set-ups though, isn't it? People's room acoustics, musical tastes, hearing acuity, amplifiers, speakers, cables, sources etc. are all almost infinitely variable. So one person's experience of success with bi-wiring can't be a cast iron guarantee of success in another person's set-up.

I was fortunate enough to have spare runs of my speaker cables when I first tried bi-wiring as an experiment. I did notice an improvement, but that's not to say that everyone will.