Advice on best way to setup new Sony Equipment/Xbox

phollers

Standard Member
Hi,

I have just changed my TV and Home Cinema system.
I bought a Sony BDV-E370 Home Cinema, and a Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U LCD HD 1080p.
I also have an xbox, and a virgin plus + box..

My old TV was not 1080 HD, so have never really taken advantage of HD via the xbox etc.

This is how I plan to set it up, BDV-E370 to Sony Bravia via HDMI cable, Virgin + box via HDMI to Sony Bravia.

The Sony Bravia only has two HDMI input ports, so I guess the xbox will have to be swapped over with the Virgin + box whenever I use it so that can go direct to the Sony Bravia via HDMI too (it doesnt get a huge amount of use anyway).

However, does the xbox not have to connect also to the BDV-E370 directly ? Someone told me today I would need to do this via a optical digital cable to achieve proper surround sound on the xbox ?
I have looked at the back of my xbox, I can see I have a HDMI port which I am not currently using on my old tv, but will be when I set the TV up tomorrow, but I cant see anything that I can use to go from the xbox to the BDV-E370 home cinema system directly ?

Many Thanks

Paul

warrenhewitt10

Hi,

I have just changed my TV and Home Cinema system.
I bought a Sony BDV-E370 Home Cinema, and a Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U LCD HD 1080p.
I also have an xbox, and a virgin plus + box..

My old TV was not 1080 HD, so have never really taken advantage of HD via the xbox etc.

You are going to love this new stuff :)

This is how I plan to set it up, BDV-E370 to Sony Bravia via HDMI cable, Virgin + box via HDMI to Sony Bravia.

Good, xbox can also connect via HDMI

The Sony Bravia only has two HDMI input ports, so I guess the xbox will have to be swapped over with the Virgin + box whenever I use it so that can go direct to the Sony Bravia via HDMI too (it doesnt get a huge amount of use anyway).

An HDMI switch can be purchased from ebay for less than £15, would save you a lot of hassle

However, does the xbox not have to connect also to the BDV-E370 directly ? Someone told me today I would need to do this via a optical digital cable to achieve proper surround sound on the xbox ?

Correct, you will need to run optical from the xbox to your optical in to achieve surround sound from the xbox

I have looked at the back of my xbox, I can see I have a HDMI port which I am not currently using on my old tv, but will be when I set the TV up tomorrow, but I cant see anything that I can use to go from the xbox to the BDV-E370 home cinema system directly ?
Correct again, you will need one of these

HDMI HD AV CABLE+OPTICAL RCA AUDIO ADAPTER FOR XBOX 360 on eBay (end time 03-Jan-11 12:28:48 GMT)

This will allow you to connect HDMI and optical for your system

Many Thanks

Paul
Answers in red

Hopefully have cleared things up for you!

phollers

Standard Member
Hi Warren,

Thanks for your help, its much clearer now.

I've connected both the home cinema and V+ box via HDMI and all is working well.
With the xbox however, I already have a Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable, currently I am running this from the xbox to the TV via the green, blue, 2 reds and the white cables into the back of the TV.
Is this effectively the same as running an HDMI cable from the xbox to the tv ?
If so, do I still need the optical digital cable to run from my home cinema into the back of the Xbox 360 Component HD AV cable, or have I already got surround sound via the method I am using ?
And, if I "DO" still require this optical cable, do I then have to remove the audio red and whites from the back of the TV ?

Just to confirm, this is the cable I have :

Connect your console to a TV or sound system

Many Thanks

Paul

warrenhewitt10

Hi Warren,

Thanks for your help, its much clearer now.

I've connected both the home cinema and V+ box via HDMI and all is working well.
With the xbox however, I already have a Xbox 360 Component HD AV Cable, currently I am running this from the xbox to the TV via the green, blue, 2 reds and the white cables into the back of the TV.
Is this effectively the same as running an HDMI cable from the xbox to the tv ?
Not quite, I think the component cables only run at 1080i max, whereas HDMI is 1080p, the difference however would be minimal

If so, do I still need the optical digital cable to run from my home cinema into the back of the Xbox 360 Component HD AV cable, or have I already got surround sound via the method I am using ?

Yes, the method you are using will only output stereo, you may have all of the speakers working, but it will be pseudo 5.1, just the amp making the best of the signal it has basically, but is not actualy proper surround sound. Optical will give you proper 5.1

And, if I "DO" still require this optical cable, do I then have to remove the audio red and whites from the back of the TV ?

no, you should not have to remove them, the sound should go out both of them, if not just the optical, I cant remember, it was a while back that i had mine set up that way.

Just to confirm, this is the cable I have :

Connect your console to a TV or sound system
yeah thats just the normal component lead, if I remember correctly there is an optical output on that big block?

Many Thanks

Paul
answers in red

Also make sure you have the display set to the right resolution, can configure it in the settings.

Trending threads

Top Bottom