Advice on best way to setup my new LCD HD

J

jonnyuk

Right i bought a 32" Polaroid LCD tv yesterday to replace my 22"jvc crt, ive got a vcr(yes i know but i dont do much recording and will get dvd soon) and a normal sky digital box. Now on my old setup it was just 2 scart leads into the back of the tv and that was sorted with a crystal clear picture/great colours etc, now ive done the same with my new tv(just plugged the 2 scarts in) but the picture is slightly blocky when your close to the screen? ive been told thats normal though but ive also heard that connecting via component would give me the best picture is that right?
Only thing is my sky box/vcr doesnt have the red/yellow/white connections(or any other colour either)

Any advice please :smashin:

wow i post this not long ago and its right down the bottom, if this question has been asked before, instead of thinking"pffftt" and clicking off my thread please link me to another thread :confused:

you wouldnt be able to use component, unless you upgrade to a dvd player that allows it, and sky only has scart out unless you get skyhd, then u could use a hdmi lead. and imo vcr on lcd's look pants, look at it in terms of lines - hd ready have say 768 and vcr about 240 i think, i know i am gonna get shot down for this but really.

Thanks for replying.

Yes i know the vcr is old hat a long time ago but as i say i dont really record much at all hence why i dont have a dvd recorder yet but since i got this nice new tv then i will get one soon.

Jonny
I have a vcr too for the same reasons as you.
It works fine on my LCD.
I think....
1)LCD,s are a bit unforgiving (unless you are lucky),and dont like working with older stuff...I must be lucky.

2)I find a lot of people on here are only interested in new kit and switch off to questions like yours........sorry I couldnt help more.
Steve

I dont think it has anything to do with people not bothering because its old hardware, I think its because the majority of users here dont have VCR's setup on LCD's.

I certainly dont, which is why I dont normally reply as I have no idea.

But its nothing to do with the vcr, people could still give me advice on how to get a better picture without even mentioning my vcr!? all it does is sit there and i watch tv via sky digital.

But as someone else said id need skyhd and a hdmi lead to get better picture quality, thats going to cost 400 by the time ive got the box and had it installed :rolleyes:

LCD TV's are mostly crap at performing with SD feeds. Buy a decent scart cable for connecting to and from your sky box.

Other than buying Sky HD, nothing more you can apart from buy a LCD that is known to handle SD feeds (Toshiba to name one)

Frodo
Sorry didnt mean to criticise you.

You are right.this site is full of postings from people whose system worked fine with their old CRT but is poor with a new LCD.

They just seem so sensitive to anything but top quality input.

So Jonny make sure the scart you are using is as good as you can get and any other inter connects too.

Personally I think a GOOD CRT is better than a cheaper LCD........except of course it looks like a brick.

Steve

Steve,

Didnt think you did mate... :thumbsup:

Im new to this LCD lark, so Im learning every day. Picked up my 37" Tosh the other day.

Just trying to figure out the best settings.

Ok thanks guys, the scart im using to connect sky and the tv is a gold plated JVC item, not the most expensive but far from the cheapest.

Anyway im going to buy a dvd recorder soon and get that hooked up via hdmi :D

Lcds are really unforgiving of a poorer quality signal when I first got a lcd tv I was gutted how bad vcr and dvd looked once you change inputs instead of scart use componant and hdmi you'll notice how good the picture can be and set your sky box to rgb and connect to the rgb scart socket on your tv the picture will improve don't be fooled by upscaling dvd players though as long as you get one with prog scan you'll get a decent picture. what I mean about upscaling dvd players is that the more scaling involved the worse the picture. your lcd will upscale the picture (or you'd have a small picture in the middle of the screen) how good the picture is depends on how good the scaler in the your tv is. :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom