Question Advice on best connection method please

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by blue max, Aug 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Need some advice please.

Looking for best quality setup.

Currently have a mac mini and iphone which connects to a Yamaha WXC-50 music streamer. Have it both cat6 wired from the mini and wifi over musiccast system from the phone. Then from the rca pre-outs of the Yamaha to a pair of powered speakers. Sounds pretty good!

Now, I am going to add a quality pair of powered speakers (Dynaudio Xeo 6's), through a Dynaudio Connect box.

So, there are a number of ways to do this I think, but which is best?

I think the pre-amp is fairly well regarded in the Yamaha, so would optical bypass this? I will try to attach the manuals if I can.

Also, I'm considering adding an external dac. How would this fit in?

Just want to make sure I've got all I need when the speakers come. All advice gratefully received.

Attached Files:

2. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Given the wireless connection to the Dynaudio speakers is 16bit / 48kHz you may as well use the optical input. There is no point in considering a external DAC when you only have a digital connection to the speakers and given the one in the Yamaha is quite good, if using the analog output.

3. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Just looking at the various device specs, the Dynaudio Xeo 6 speakers are designed to only handle a single stereo digital audio signal input (LPCM at 16bit/48kHz) & can only receive that digital audio signal via a proprietary wireless connection from either the Dynaudio Hub or the Dynaudio Connect transmitter boxes.

Given that the Xeo 6's will only ever be supplied a digital audio signal by the Connect box, it seems rather pointless using the Yamaha's WXC-50's pre-out's (no matter how well regarded) to the Connect box's analogue input, as it'll only be converted back to digital for transmission to the Xeo 6's!

In fact, the same can be said for any other digital audio sourcing device that you connect to the Connect box's analogue input, so would also include the external DAC you were considering for the WXC-50.

Also, the Connect box is a network audio file player/streamer in its own right, being a UPnP/DLNA renderer, so you might not even need to use the WXC-50.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  4. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Thank you @xmb
    Just so I get this straight in my head... if I connect the Yamaha to Connect by optical, I am not using the preamp or dac in the Yamaha and bypassing it completely? And if I use the analog outputs from the Yamaha, they are just going to be switched back to digital by the connect?

And thank you @Cebolla
    I think you may be right. It might be a lot simpler than I thought!

5. Cebolla

Cebolla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hopefully the Connect box's UPnP/DLNA renderer supports gapless playback. I wouldn't advise using a UPnP/DLNA streamer that doesn't - who knows what else could be 'faulty'?

If you are already using a UPnP/DLNA media server on your Mac to supply the WXC-50 with music files via Yamaha's MusicCast system, then it should just be a straight forward swap - though you'll need to use a standard UPnP/DLNA controller app on your iPhone (eg mConnect Player) instead of the MusicCast Controller app.

Bear in mind the Connect box doesn't support AirPlay, just in case you are also using AirPlay on the WXC-50.

6. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Is there an easy way to find out if it's gapless? Never quite understood what that actually meant.

I do use airplay. Hmmm. It's quite an investment if that is the only reason to keep the Yamaha.

I use plex, itunes, apple music, tidal and internet radio. It's such a minefield at the moment

7. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I have to say that I would not purchase active speakers as this puts a lot of eggs into an expensive basket. If you opt for passive speakers, such as Monitor Audio Silver 300, and a separate amplifier, such as the Yamaha R-N803D you have more flexibility and a better upgrade path. It is also easier to support high resolution music, either locally or via streaming services.

8. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Looks good and to some extent I'd agree with you.

I got these today and they are drop dead gorgeous in the flesh! I'd never even seen them before.

Unfortunately I only received the speakers and not the connect box (apparently there should have been three packages, so hopefully it's still in the van). So, I haven't been able to listen to them yet.

I'm sure they will be wonderful and last me for a good while. I can upgrade the source to some extent, so they won't be redundant in the near future. I was pretty sure I didn't want to get into hifi again. I am sure I'd want to upgrade both those components within a short space of time and it would cost me dear that way too.

9. xmb

xmb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    I am sure you will be very happy with your purchase and should work well with your Yamaha WXC-50, either connected via optical or analog using phono. Remember like all speakers they will need some "running in" before you can really assess their performance. Enjoy!

10. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,331
    Just to update this then... Speakers are immense! Really awesome sound straight out of the box. Ended up just using an appletv and airplay. I have a mac and iphone, so no need for anything more. And it keeps it all digital for as long as possible. Absolutely no need for the Yamaha's pre-amp capability unfortunately. Hopefully it will go to a new owner who will make more use of its abilities.